Sick Quail. Please help!!

AngelASun

Hatching
Sep 10, 2023
The past day Ive noticed my female(almost 3 years old) quail throwing water/mucus? I’m only 16 so I am not able to take her to a vet, and it is hard finding one that treats quails where I live. She has other symptoms like being very lethargic, not moving, can’t walk very well and her feathers are really fluffy all the time. Her chest area is very soft and tender, while her behind is rock hard. I can feel her bones a little too. We have been feeding her garlic water, as I heard it deworms them. We also feed her baby chick food with antibiotics hoping it will help. We have called a few vets and they all said to bring her in for an examination, but that is hard for me to do. I really need help, we are at a lost. What can we do to make her feel better? Is there anything we can do? Please please help!

3 years old is quite old for a quail.

Garlic is toxic to most birds, so please stop giving her that right away. It also does NOT deworm anything.

What have you been feeding her?
Is she eating and drinking?
What does her poop look like?

It sounds like she may be egg bound since you mentioned that her behind is hard. I would start with a warm epsom salt bath. Have to go to work, will post more later.

I’ve been feeding her the normal quail feed-crumbles and eggshells. She drinks a lot of water, but sometimes throws it up. She is also eating normally. Her poop is very watery, and a little white. She has also been sleeping a lot. I’m not sure if she is egg bound, because she actually stopped laying eggs about a year ago.

I’ve been feeding her the normal quail feed-crumbles and eggshells. She drinks a lot of water, but sometimes throws it up. She is also eating normally. Her poop is very watery, and a little white. She has also been sleeping a lot. I’m not sure if she is egg bound, because she actually stopped laying eggs about a year ago.
Can you post pictures of her, her poop, and her home? You mentioned that her front is soft, do you think it's about where her crop would be? Does she throw up only when you pick her up?

Can you post pictures of her, her poop, and her home? You mentioned that her front is soft, do you think it's about where her crop would be? Does she throw up only when you pick her up?
She actually passed away when I got home. Thank you for all your help though.

Back
Top Bottom