sick quail?

How long have you had quail? You may already know a lot of this, but here is what I give new quail owners when I sell them birds.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/coturnix-basic-care.76183/
believe it or not ive had poultry for years and ive had quail before but this is my first time dealing with a sick bird. Its also my first time buying quail from a different person than normal. Most of the quail ive got were from a specific person but they went out of business some time ago, so my dad found a pet store that sold quail and got them as a suprise. He also bought the food they came with because it was cheap, i overlooked what the food was because he was my dad and i thought he knew what he was doing

believe it or not ive had poultry for years and ive had quail before but this is my first time dealing with a sick bird. Its also my first time buying quail from a different person than normal. Most of the quail ive got were from a specific person but they went out of business some time ago, so my dad found a pet store that sold quail and got them as a suprise. He also bought the food they came with because it was cheap, i overlooked what the food was because he was my dad and i thought he knew what he was doing
Well, if you're in northern CA, I can recommend a few people to get them from if I'm not close enough.

okay so update on my bird she is still droopy and not eating but she drinks water and weve been trying to keep her warm while my dad returnes from buying a heat lamp
but ive noticed that she starts twitching from time to time
she also layed and egg that was kinda green looking and squishy

she is currently on crushed corn mixture with some seeds mixed in.
we dont know what percentage it is because it came pre mixed
yes we clean her waterer every night
her droppings are mostly white and light brown and watery
That diet is completely inadequate. Gamebirds should be feed a balanced and complete ration of 24% protein.

A somewhat formed fecal portion with an extremely watery urine portion or excessive urate portion may indicate a kidney problem or metabolic problem. A more liquid consistency in the fecal portion of the droppings is suggestive of an intestinal tract infection.

Birds that are fed a ration consisting of seeds alone will result in the feces being watery and could have a yellowish to green color, depending on the species of bird. Although, in quail if the droppings are watery with yellowish urates, then IE should be suspected, along with loss of appetite, lethargic along with a 'ruffled' appearance.

After reading your other posts, I now suspect your bird is slowly starving to death.
Along with her weakened condition, an infection or disease can quite easily take over and overwhelm her immune system.

Last edited:
That diet is completely inadequate. Gamebirds should be feed a balanced and complete ration of 24% protein.

A somewhat formed fecal portion with an extremely watery urine portion or excessive urate portion may indicate a kidney problem or metabolic problem. A more liquid consistency in the fecal portion of the droppings is suggestive of an intestinal tract infection.

Birds that are fed a ration consisting of seeds alone will result in the feces being watery and could have a yellowish to green color, depending on the species of bird. Although, in quail if the droppings are watery with yellowish urates, then IE should be suspected, along with loss of appetite, lethargic along with a 'ruffled' appearance.

After reading your other posts, I now suspect your bird is slowly starving to death.
Along with her weakened condition, an infection or disease can quite easily take over and overwhelm her immune system.
her dropping are not yellow but they are watery
is there anything i can do to help her feel better again?

Thanks!
I just PMed you the address and a picture of the exact feeds that store carries that's good for quail.

Back
Top Bottom