sick quail?

Hitchhiking_quail

In the Brooder
Jan 20, 2021
So im having trouble with one of my quail, all she seemes to be doing is just avoiding the sun and sitting in the corner. I noticed that she tripped a couple of times this morning while walking around the house, but i just chalked it up to her regular ¨im to tired to wake up, woe is me¨ antics. She seemed to be fine last night, maybe even a little more energetic than usual, making a huge racket nudging against the tub. But now she seemes to be too tired to do anything exept obsess over the water and act like a vampire avoiding the sun. Any suggestions on what this is or is she just being a dramatic ¨woe is me¨ bird.

First thing to do is to separate her from your other birds in case she has something contagious. This will also allow you to observe just how much or little she's eating and drinking, and what her poop looks like.

What kind of quail is she?
Is she eating and drinking?
Does her poop look normal?
If she's ben laying, is she still laying?
Is she missing feathers?
Can you examine her to see if she has any injuries that she was hiding?
How many roos to hens do you have?
What is your setup like?

If you can, uploading a video to YouTube and posting a link here would also be helpful.

well seperating wont be easy as i only have two but I will try.
she is a italian courtnix
well yes but it minimal.
its hard to tell but it is a little watery
we cant really tell if she has been laying because it only happens at night and we never seem to be able to catch them in the act of laying
yes she somehow lost a clump of feathers earlier but that was sometime ago so there is pin feathers. she seemes to be fine on the outside but just overall droopy and sleepy
we only have two quail but there are some plans to get more, so for now none there both hens.
our set up is mostly a metal wire mesh cage with a hole on the top to put them in or out( its open on the bottem so they can scratch around and dig thengs up) and they come inside the house at night to sleep in a crate/ dog carrier.
sorry i cant upload a video because im on a computer and my phone is currently getting fixed

Do they have hiding places?
Can you feel her keel?
Does she seem underweight?

I'm concerned that she's not eating and drinking much. That could cause watery poop.

At this point, the best thing to do is to make sure she's warm, and observe. If she's underweight, you might think about taking her to a vet if that's an option.

yes they do they have a sort of cave that they can scurry into in case of wind or rain.
yes i can not the entire thing but a little too much.
she does seem underweight compared to my other quail but that could be because it eats a little too much.

The problem about the warmth is that for some reason i dont know she is avoiding the sun, i would be nice to be able to take her to the vet but where i live we dont have many that specialize in poultry because we live in a big city that mostly deals with cats and dogs.
but thank you for the advice, ill try to keep her warm and moniter her.

im also concerend since i tried sharing body heat with her while my dad went out to get a heat lamp but she dosent seem interested in heat

okay so i consulted my older brother and he said that she definently feels underweight what do we do from here?
Can you bring her inside into a "hospital" cage? I use plastic tubs with hardware cloth tops. Make sure she's warm. You might try to entice her with some treats, such as mealworms. If you don't have something like Nutri-drench or Save-a-chick around, you probably want to get some. You can put that in her water.

That's about the extent of my first aid knowledge, so I'm going to tag @007Sean who has a lot more experience with illness than I do.

Can you bring her inside into a "hospital" cage? I use plastic tubs with hardware cloth tops. Make sure she's warm. You might try to entice her with some treats, such as mealworms. If you don't have something like Nutri-drench or Save-a-chick around, you probably want to get some. You can put that in her water.

That's about the extent of my first aid knowledge, so I'm going to tag @007Sean who has a lot more experience with illness than I do.
okay ill try to keep her as warm as possible but i dont have any of the nurtidench or save a chck and from all my trips to feed stores i dont think that they have any

okay ill try to keep her as warm as possible but i dont have any of the nurtidench or save a chck and from all my trips to feed stores i dont think that they have any
Are you outside of the US? Those are pretty basic first aid things that every feed store I've been in has. They might have something similar, if not those exact brands.

Back
Top Bottom