Found an injured California quail and nowhere is willing to take her

mothman099

Hatching
Sep 22, 2022
Found a female California quail in the road on the way home yesterday, stopped and scooped her up, I noticed immediately that she was having trouble with both her legs. Both of her wings however seem to be fine. We didn't think she would make it through the night but now that she has I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to help her. We have her in a small dog kennel in the garage with a towel for her to lay on, she's very alert and has a lot of energy. I've been giving her water it doesn't seem like she wants to eat I've tried giving her meal worms and some of our chicken and duck food mixed together, I need to find something else for her to eat tho. I just don't know how to help get her walking again and need advice. I've called 4 different places, the local vet that typically treats birds told me that legally they can't help, but gave me the number to a wildlife rehab center, they told me cause of the current virus going around they can't take new birds. I then called the game and fish wardens but they basically told me the same thing. Any advice would be helpful she seems too energetic to be dying and I just wanna help her heal as much as I can.

Keep her warm for starters. Try contacting other rescues, since it is likely illegal for you to keep her.
Everywhere I've contacted told me that because of the current A(H5N1) virus they aren't accepting new birds, and I kept asking for other places that will take her, and they told me there aren't many places im the area i live. I didn't straight up ask if it's illegal for me to keep her, but no one said I had to get rid of her. She is also in a warm safe spot, I'm just worried about her legs

Is she hard to handle? Can you give her a 1/4 of a b complex pill? Also, try give her bird seed. See if she'll eat that, or raw yolk.
I'll definitely try the raw yolk, I can't tell if she's tried to eat the other bird seed that I've given her, she's also not hard to handle at all, she'll still try and get away from me which is a good sign for a wild bird, but once I've got her in my hands she's pretty mellow

Boiled, crushed egg yolk would be better for her than bird seed. If you have some Nutri-Drench, that may help as well
If her legs don't start to get function back within a couple days, her chances aren't good.

Good luck.

Does it look like she's sick or injured? She may like millet, chia seeds, sprouts, or defrosted corn kernels.

Back
Top Bottom