Valley Quail Randomly Dying

dowdlauren

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 22, 2016
So first time owning valleys. I’ve had a short stint with buttons and have coturnix.

Raised chickens, primarily bantams my entire life.

I hatched valley quail from a clutch I got from a random person off the internet. 6 developed, 4 hatched.

1 died maybe a week in, very randomly and it was weird. At bed, it was so lethargic, it could hardly walk and had its eyes closed. I knew it would be dead in the morning. But when I picked it up, its belly was leaking a clear yellow fluid that stunk. I wondered if it came from the rear, but it really appeared to be seeping from its belly…..

But I’m more concerned now with my quail left. They’re at 6 weeks, in a brooder in the house. It’s a larger plastic box, lined with paper towels I change out religiously.. they have a bulb for heat in the corner if they choose to heat soak, with a perch so they can get closer.

My female, who I was very attached to, she was very, very sweet and cuddly. Started getting lethargic, would stop more and more throughout the day to just bulb up and puff her feathers up and shut her eyes, topknot down against her head. The next day it was noticeably worse…and I knew by the end of the day she would be gone. And she was. No running nose, no wheezing, no sickness signs, no abnormal droppings, no pasty butt. Just tired and then gone.

Now my male, who is a pretty fit and strong bird at 6 weeks, full of energy is starting to show the same pattern, slowing down and starting the small bouts of shutting his eyes and puffing up and taking naps more and more…

Can someone please enlighten me? I feel like I’m just waiting on all my babies to slowly die. I’m so attached and heart broken.

They have high protein meal, meal worm treats, clean water, a clean brooder box, low stress, a heat source they can get close to or escape from…

:-(

Pic is the female I was very attached to who was very attached to me. This was 24 hours before I lost her. She was eager to be on me and around me, but would stop every so often to close her eyes and puff up..

Attachments

• IMG_1631.jpeg
    IMG_1631.jpeg
    325.9 KB · Views: 64
Can you take a picture of the box you keep them in?
And a picture of the heat source?

I would not have added heat on quail 6 weeks of age in side a house.

What feed are you using?

Can you get clear pictures of fresh poop, as soon as it's laid.
On a white paper towel would be good.

The one that died at a week in sounds like it could of had a bacteria infection. Could have came from where the eggs came from or picked up something in an incubator. No telling.

Need pics of their poop! What your describing sounds like Ulcerative Enteritus. UE can wipeout a flock in just a few days....it spreads like wildfire.

I have a high protein game bird crumble.

Poop seems normal to me..?

Now I am noticing the male has picked up a dry sneeze I believe…? It seems very infrequent and his beak is dry, no wetness or wheeze at all.

Box is a mess now, but I change it twice a day. I’m so paranoid of bacteria or anything staying too wet / poopy.

Attachments

• IMG_0787.jpeg
    IMG_0787.jpeg
    412.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0790.jpeg
    IMG_0790.jpeg
    392.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0788.jpeg
    IMG_0788.jpeg
    488.8 KB · Views: 14
Heat source is high up, I’ve added perches so they can get close to it, otherwise I am also nervous as it gets pretty cold inside the house especially at night. ( No AC on either )

The one that died at a week in sounds like it could of had a bacteria infection. Could have came from where the eggs came from or picked up something in an incubator. No telling.
Replied, but I will try to get better photos today after work.

Back
Top Bottom