Sick quail

Jimbobuk

Hatching
Aug 2, 2021
Hey. I have a 10 week female who appears to be throwing her head back and gasping constantly. I isolated her from the flock outside a week ago as she was puffed up and lethargic. I treated her with some coxoid solution in her water in case of parasites and now she is acting like this. Wondered if anyone could help me out with what the problem is? Cheers

Hey. I have a 10 week female who appears to be throwing her head back and gasping constantly. I isolated her from the flock outside a week ago as she was puffed up and lethargic. I treated her with some coxoid solution in her water in case of parasites and now she is acting like this. Wondered if anyone could help me out with what the problem is? Cheers
I’ve had 2 chicks do the head back gasping thing, one started when I was putting a rubber leg band on, it seemed like it almost got so scared it had a stroke, and with time they improved. I culled them when large enough because I don’t want to pass this on. I believe it’s some kind of neurological issue. Is it possible she hit her head or suffered some sort of trauma? With chicks I assume it’s just one of those things, some are just born with issues, and the eggs were shipped, so many variables.

Thanks for replying guys. Unfortunatly by the time I checked on her 30 minutes later she had passed away. She was initially in an 6 by 9 foot outside aviary with a concrete floor with 11 other quails. (10 females and 2 males). I quarantined her 4 days ago when I noticed her feathers were very puffy and she wasn't as active as the other birds. All the birds are eating Marsdens game feed, and have access to fresh water and a bowl of grit and oyster shell. I was worried perhaps she had a parasite and administered some coxoid oral solution for her since she was quarantined. Not sure weather to put some with the other birds water incase they too become sick??

So I've been out in the aviary this morning and cleaned the floor and noticed a couple of droppings that looked like they had blood in. All the birds seem fine though I've looked at adding a little apple cider vinegar to the water to maybe build up their immune system. Should I be concerned?
20210803_101709.jpg

ACV isn't going to help. A lot of people seem to think it's a cure-all, but it really isn't. Can you take the sample to a vet for analysis?

I think I figured out the issue. The one that had blood in its droppings had escaped this morning into my neighbours garden whilst I was cleaning out the aviary. The neighbours dog had it cornered and though I managed to get it back I only noticed 30 minutes later that the dog must have nipped it as there was a puncture wound near the quails vent and was bleeding quite heavily. I cleaned it with iodine but unfortunately it seemed best to put it out of its misery. Touch wood the other birds all seem well and haven't noticed any more bad droppings or other signs of disease.

Back
Top Bottom