Sick quail

Just like people, it takes a while for the symptoms of malnutrition to show. It will also take different amounts of time for each individual. I do think you will see improvement once they start getting proper nutrition.
Thank you, I will change their diet and hopefully this will help. Do you know if this would be suitable? None of the local shops sell any kind of poultry feed.

Attachments

• AE42F350-EB81-4BE5-868F-40C52B6A599E.png
    AE42F350-EB81-4BE5-868F-40C52B6A599E.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
Are they in 'damp conditions'? Could be mold/fungus spores causing respiratory problems.
The cage is completely covered as protection from rain and wild birds (current UK regulations due to bird flu). None of them show signs of respiratory problems.
The vet could find no issues like this in the one who died. Her puffiness used to come and go. She was just quiet.
Thank you for your help. I can try a different vet, but anything other than cats and dogs are deemed “exotic”.

The cage is completely covered as protection from rain and wild birds (current UK regulations due to bird flu). None of them show signs of respiratory problems.
The vet could find no issues like this in the one who died. Her puffiness used to come and go. She was just quiet.
Thank you for your help. I can try a different vet, but anything other than cats and dogs are deemed “exotic”.
I'm at a loss here also, doesn't appear to be a reason for the conditions your describing? Idk. Quail are very good at hiding a sickness until they are almost dead.

Thank you everyone for your help and kind words. This morning it looked like there might be blood in her poop so I found a vet who would see her. She has a parasitic infection which is treatable with antibiotics. Apparently the load was massive. I will treat them all twice a day for the next week, which fingers crossed will clear it.

Thank you everyone for your help and kind words. This morning it looked like there might be blood in her poop so I found a vet who would see her. She has a parasitic infection which is treatable with antibiotics. Apparently the load was massive. I will treat them all twice a day for the next week, which fingers crossed will clear it.
Did the vet tell you which or what parasite was causing the infection? That's why I asked if they had blood in their poops or if it was yellowish and runny.

If blood was found it could be several things, the main one would be Coccidious, although not common in quail, they can contract it.
If it had a yellowish, runny poop, I would have suspected UI or Ulcerative Interitus. This disease is usually seen in Bobwhite quail but other species can contract UI.

What antibiotic did the vet prescribe?

Her poop wasn’t runny or yellow. It looked possibly bloody or slightly darker. I’m giving them all 0.4ml metronidazole twice a day.
The vet said it was a flagellate parasite but she didn’t name it.

Back
Top Bottom