Sick Rabbit!!!

Oh, and I forgot, if they have Diaherria and you have flies, you need to bring them inside or they will get fly strike. Flies looooove bunnies with poopy butt!
sickbyc.gif

Quote:
I did change their food after the first rabbit got sick because my breeder said mana pro food would probably make them better and my rabbits swithched over VERY well they loved the food. But then 2 of my fuzzy holland lops that were with the sick bun when i had her both got sick and it spread to my Mini rex doe and took all three! I returned the bunny that got sick first and he is doing MUCH better. My dad is making a new 9 hole rabbit hutch its HUGE and we are moving all the healthy rabbits into it. We are going to power wash all the cages that could be or get infected and we bought this VERY spendy bleach scented stuff to wash it out with. I septerated the sick mom from her 3 week old babies because 2 of them are now sick from being with her. I put kitten milk replacer in a small saucer and they love it they also have been eating regular food since they were 3 weeks old i hope they make it. The other mom has babies that are only 6 days old and she has diareehad all over herself and needs a good washing. Should i feed my other rabbits pet bio this treatment stuff to help it just in case they are just getting it? I now just picked up their old food so they will be back to normal feeding now. I will pickup hay tommarow. We buy straw for our rabbits and the store we bouught it from said it was fine for rabbits. I will pickup some of the medications tommarow. Also what is signs of the mutated stuff i hope they don't have it! Thanks for the Advise!:)

Quote:
It is super high in protein and can cause kidney issues. I actually lost a yearling colt to renal failure when I switched him to alfalfa (he probably already had issues though and the alfalfa just made it worse). But my veterinarian recommends just Timothy hay, so that's what I feed, no alfalfa at all, except what's in their pellets already.

Quote:
It is super high in protein and can cause kidney issues. I actually lost a yearling colt to renal failure when I switched him to alfalfa (he probably already had issues though and the alfalfa just made it worse). But my veterinarian recommends just Timothy hay, so that's what I feed, no alfalfa at all, except what's in their pellets already.

Me too, and thank you for confirming that. I am fairly new to rabbits.

Quote:
I'm not really familiar with the pet bio stuff, is it a pro biotic? It won't hurt, I'm not a big pro biotic user here though.

Did all of your rabbits come from the same place, or the sick ones did? It does sound like ERE, esp the way its spreading like it is.
sad.png
They're speculating that its a bacteria, but not totally sure. (There was an article in this months Domestic Rabbit about it) Always quarantine new purchases for at least two weeks, I do at least 30 days here.

Lots of that going around, most of the symptoms are similar to Coccidia (and the Coccidia or E Coli parasites if already present will multiply and make it worse, since they're opportunistic little buggers!) Bloat is the main symptom there, some folks have buns with poopy butt, or mucousy poops or no poops at all if they're impacted.
sad.png
Feed with corn in it does seem to make it worse, as does stress. The key to recovery seems to be lots of hay, fluids and lots of luck. And clean clean clean! Since its more than 50% fatal, some people I know have had losses of over 75%.
sad.png
Eventually your herd will build up an immunity to it, since it is not normal for a parasite to kill the host.

Manna Pro is a good feed, its high in fiber and doesn't have any corn in it, so its a good choice.

So I'd seperate out anything that is either sick or has been exposed, clean all the cages really good, push hay and fluids on the ones that are sick and see if you can't shove some Coccidia meds down them. You'll probably need to treat the rest of your rabbits as well and spot treat until the rabbits build up an immunity to it. I've experimented with both the baby gas stuff and liquid immodium (or pepto) and it did seem to help some. You're basically trying to keep the rabbit hydrated and their GI system moving long enough for their own immune system to kick in, if they're going to recover.

And if its just plain ole Coccidia, a round of meds will clear it right up with no issues.

So i thought i would post an update!!

We went to the vet yesterday to drop my cat off for her tooth removal and brought along the sick mom. The vet said its just a bug NOT coccidia! So i brought home stuff to help the dierehha and got some oxpo critical care. S'morz the mom of 3 wk old babies is doing SO MUCH better i have filled up the eye dropper so many times and she drinks it! Sadly though 2 of her 7 babies died last night they had TERRIBLE dierehha and were pretty sick. So now she has 5. I am worried about 1 becasue she is weak. I have been filling up the eye dropper and feeding them it. I also have been giving them some kitten replacer because they are so weak. Another terrible thing happened last night Suzi-Q the mom of 8 day old babies died i tried feeding her last night but she was so weak the she couldn't even swollow i also tried to get her to drink but she refused. So now i also have 3 orphaned babies to care for i have been giving them kitten replacer twice a day. They haven't been accepting the milk so i just put it on their mouth and they drink it from there. Oh and S'morz has been eating a little!! The vet said That S'morz would make it! I will update later on. Any tips on orphaned babies is GREATLY appreciated!

Quote:
I'm not really familiar with the pet bio stuff, is it a pro biotic? It won't hurt, I'm not a big pro biotic user here though.

Did all of your rabbits come from the same place, or the sick ones did? It does sound like ERE, esp the way its spreading like it is.
sad.png
They're speculating that its a bacteria, but not totally sure. (There was an article in this months Domestic Rabbit about it) Always quarantine new purchases for at least two weeks, I do at least 30 days here.

Lots of that going around, most of the symptoms are similar to Coccidia (and the Coccidia or E Coli parasites if already present will multiply and make it worse, since they're opportunistic little buggers!) Bloat is the main symptom there, some folks have buns with poopy butt, or mucousy poops or no poops at all if they're impacted.
sad.png
Feed with corn in it does seem to make it worse, as does stress. The key to recovery seems to be lots of hay, fluids and lots of luck. And clean clean clean! Since its more than 50% fatal, some people I know have had losses of over 75%.
sad.png
Eventually your herd will build up an immunity to it, since it is not normal for a parasite to kill the host.

Manna Pro is a good feed, its high in fiber and doesn't have any corn in it, so its a good choice.

So I'd seperate out anything that is either sick or has been exposed, clean all the cages really good, push hay and fluids on the ones that are sick and see if you can't shove some Coccidia meds down them. You'll probably need to treat the rest of your rabbits as well and spot treat until the rabbits build up an immunity to it. I've experimented with both the baby gas stuff and liquid immodium (or pepto) and it did seem to help some. You're basically trying to keep the rabbit hydrated and their GI system moving long enough for their own immune system to kick in, if they're going to recover.

And if its just plain ole Coccidia, a round of meds will clear it right up with no issues.

I went to the vet yesterday and they ran a fecal test and there is no coccidia!!!!!! I am very relieved!! I got a whole bunch of antibiotics to feed the mom i got stuff for her dierehha and i also got oxpo critical care. S'morz the mom of 3 week old babies is doing WAY better she has eaten some food not a lot just a couple pellets. She has been drinking A TON of water from the eye dropper. and then the sad news
hit.gif
Sadly 2 of s'morzes babies died last night they were so weak. I have just started feeding s'morzes babies milk replacer twice a day. Another sad thing is that my doe suzi-Q passed last night
hit.gif
so now i have to care for 3 8 day old orphaned kits.
hu.gif
I have been giving them milk replacer twice a day also. ANY ADVISE WOULD BE GREAT!!!!
bun.gif

Quote:

sad.png

sad.png
sad.png

I went to the vet yesterday and they ran a fecal test and there is no coccidia!!!!!! I am very relieved!! I got a whole bunch of antibiotics to feed the mom i got stuff for her dierehha and i also got oxpo critical care. S'morz the mom of 3 week old babies is doing WAY better she has eaten some food not a lot just a couple pellets. She has been drinking A TON of water from the eye dropper. and then the sad news
hit.gif
Sadly 2 of s'morzes babies died last night they were so weak. I have just started feeding s'morzes babies milk replacer twice a day. Another sad thing is that my doe suzi-Q passed last night
hit.gif
so now i have to care for 3 8 day old orphaned kits.
hu.gif
I have been giving them milk replacer twice a day also. ANY ADVISE WOULD BE GREAT!!!!
bun.gif

I don't have any advice but I'm really sorry you are having this problem.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom