Can I keep baby chicks with my pet rabbit?

ArianaMcGee

In the Brooder
May 24, 2021
Hi all -

We are about to get some new chicks (already have 5 big girls) but it looks like the hatchery we buy from has younger chicks than what we had planned, which just means we'll have to keep them inside for a little while until they are coop ready. Let's say around 1 month.

I have a pet Holland Lop bunny, and although she has lots of 'stuff' (a massive cardboard castle, a big clear enclosure [that she can freely enter and exit], a hutch that locks for sleeping) she really has free range of my downstairs craft room.

I was wondering if it would be all right to keep our baby chicks (2-3) in some enclosure (not sure what yet, maybe a small dog kennel?) in the same craft room as my bunny for the time they must be inside. Does this pose any health concerns? Would the chicks be scared of her? Would she be scared of them? She is a pretty chill rabbit, but who knows.

I'd love your thoughts and suggestions. Thank you!

They should be fine so long as they're in a secure brooder. A dog kennel could work, but I would personally go with something with solid sides, like a kiddy pool or large tub. I'm using a metal feeding trough and it works perfect for my chicks.

They should be fine so long as they're in a secure brooder. A dog kennel could work, but I would personally go with something with solid sides, like a kiddy pool or large tub. I'm using a metal feeding trough and it works perfect for my chicks.
Thank you! So for something like your suggestions - a tub or pool - would you also cover the top, like with chicken wire or something? Or just leave it wide open? I have no idea if hopping inside with the chicks is something my bunny ("a bunny" in general??) would be tempted to do!

Also, I guess I should mention that for what it's worth, we are home all day and could monitor the situation.

As long as you keep it very clean and feed them separate it should work but the protein in chick feed can hurt the rabbits digestive system. "Rabbits can pass coccidia and Pasteurella (snuffles) to chickens, and chickens can pass salmonella to rabbits"

As long as you keep it very clean and feed them separate it should work but the protein in chick feed can hurt the rabbits digestive system. "Rabbits can pass coccidia and Pasteurella (snuffles) to chickens, and chickens can pass salmonella to rabbits"
Yes!!! I am seeing that now, this is a great point to keep in mind, and it didn't even occur to me! I wouldn't want my bunny to get into the chicken food. Great point!!!

Thank you! So for something like your suggestions - a tub or pool - would you also cover the top, like with chicken wire or something? Or just leave it wide open? I have no idea if hopping inside with the chicks is something my bunny ("a bunny" in general??) would be tempted to do!

Also, I guess I should mention that for what it's worth, we are home all day and could monitor the situation.
Considering how high rabbits can jump, it would probably be best to cover the brooder with chicken wire or hardware cloth.
It depends on the individual, but most rabbits would be curious about the noises and smells which may make some want to jump in.
My brooder has 38 chicks, so I've just used this screen door (which will eventually go in their coop).
20220417_103640.jpg

For the amount of chicks you're getting, some chicken wire and clamps would so the job.
(Not my pictures)
8fb7ad3f95a8982fe97dfe282e617001.jpg

Some people ziptie hardware cloth/chicken wire to the lids of plastic tubs like in these photos (not mine)
7c374f969b366a589acff679ae1dd480.jpg
9f45883b8bce6ac70bfdce87d028865c.jpg

Lids will come in handy for when they start trying to fly as well. Though by that age you may need a larger brooder.

Back
Top Bottom