Sick RIR hen, needing assistance!!!!!!!

babyboy1_mom

Songster
11 Years
Apr 13, 2008
Louisiana
:|:(About a week ago, I went out to feed my chickens and found one of my RIR hens just laying in the bottom of the pen. She didn't try to move, whenever the other hens and rooster were stepping on her, trying to get to me and the food. She didn't resist, whenever I picked her up. I looked her over and her left foot was curled under. (She was fine the night before.) I put her in a pen by herself and she drank whenever I put her by her waterer, but I did not see her eat. (The bread treat that I put in there for her 2 days ago is still there, but scattered a little.) I took an old credit card and taped half to the bottom of her foot and the other half just above where the ankle would be, like a splint. (This is what someone else that had this problem told me to try.)

I take her out and try to get her to walk/hobble, but she just lays there and pecks the grass. This does not seem to be working at all. I know that she does move around in her pen, but I have not physically seen her while she is doing this, so I do not know if she is hobbling on one leg or if she is trying to use her bad one.
She is pooping white, but solid.

I do not know what else to do for her, so any suggestions and help are appreciated.

Thanks,
sad.png

Dorothy

If her poop is solid thats good news, it means she is eating.
You'll know that she's not eating if her poop is watery and has bright green in it.

You should suppliment her feed with vitamins such as aviacharge2000, or poly-vi-sol if you can't get aviacharge.

There are alot of things that could be wrong, hard to tell from what we know so far, this link might help: http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp

Thanks for the info. rooster-red.

I am keeping my eye on her. I just don't know what made her foot just curl under.
Unfortunatley, when I look at it, then it makes me think of someone that has had a stroke. Can chickens have strokes? She is only about a year old.

I will get some vitamins. I had some, but they are all gone now.

Thanks,
Dorothy

Chickens can have strokes, but usually don't survive them.

It may be a type of paralysis caused by a serious illness, or something else entirely.

I had a hen that was climbing a wood pile and dislodged a log that hit her on the leg and she would not use that leg for weeks. I felt to check her for broken bones (just compare to the other leg) and could not find anything causing the loss of use, I did range of motion exercises with the leg daily, she hobbled around for a few weeks then started using it again.

I did feel her leg and I didn't feel any broken bones, but I am definitely no expert. (I did go to med. school, but not vet. med. school. lol) If she would at least try to hobble, then that would be better than just laying there. I will start a range of motion in the morning, when I take her out and let her eat fresh grass.

Thanks,
Dorothy

it could also be something she ingested... old moldy grains which might have excaped your notice or such...have a good look on your property for areas of stagnant water or holdy hay/straw/bedding...

Thanks Alicia. I did the range of motion once so far today, but it hasn't helped yet. She is laying there with her eyes closed most of the time and her eyes just look different to me. I don't know how to explain it, but her eyes just don't look right.

Dorothy

Hey there,

Have you looked under her wing on that side?

It is Spring time and the roosters get VERY agressive with mating at this time. Quite often, they will gouge the hens with their spurs and rip their skin on their side. Another sign is if they are losing feathers on their backs. Watch for this because it will get infected, cause the leg and foot to swell so she will tuck that foot up and just sit there and wait to die.

I would gently pick her up, take her somewhere away from the pen that is quiet. Cover her head with a sock so she will be calm and then examine her thoroughly. If she has what we used to call "saddle sores" you will find a cut on one or both sides, possibly infected, the leg and foot swollen and hot - and drawn up to the body.

Flush the wound with Betadine to remove dirt and infection, and then pack it with wound dressing cream or A&D ointment, and put her back - but not with a rooster. You can also take her temp if she is very feverish. Just put therm under her wing. If its over 103, she has a bacterial infection. You can treat that with aerithromiacin in her feed. Or a little amoxicillin in her water. When the infection subsides, she will slowly begin using that foot again. Shouldn't take longer than a week.

Hope this helps - good luck!

Back
Top Bottom