Sick rooster. Canker? Heart problem? Something else??? Help me brain storm.

ChicNmom

Songster
Dec 26, 2020
Wilton NH
My rooster Buddy is having some problems and I'm trying to figure out what is going on. He is 2.5 years old. Bantam rumpless cochin.

My birds have been exposed to canker. I lost a small rooster to it 2 months ago. Buddy did have a canker in the top of his beak. I gave him and all other birds that showed symptoms the 5 day metronidazole treatment. The canker is gone and his breath has been fine.

I have been doing the ACS treatment in their water every 3 weeks so twice now.
days the first time, 5 days the second time.

We had noticed over the summer Buddy would seem to run out of air when crowing. Over the last few months his crow got cut short. His last notes don't come out. I assumed he had a canker in his trachea and was hoping it would shrivel up. He seemed otherwise energetic and healthy. And again no foul odor that would indicate an active canker in his esophagus or trachea.

Last week after a really warm spell he seemed to be breathing hard and not making sounds. I brought him in and he sounded a tiny bit congested. The stress of my trying to examine him had him nearly collapsed on the floor and panting. I had Doxy so started him on that in case of an upper respiratory infection.

I also discovered my other tiny rooster has been attacking him. Usually a look from Buddy would keep the other one in line and they grew up together so until now they have gotten along. He must know Buddy isn't well. He also has chicken lice. I have been treating them all for that but I think he hasn't been able to take his dust bath w/added permethrin because of the other rooster bothering him.

Buddy is also thin. So I think the mini roo was keeping him from food.

Buddy is eating and pooping more. He just pants when stressed.
He was also recently wormed.

I've been bringing him in at night to keep him calm and to make giving him the Doxy easier. Then he goes out with the girls. The other roo is on lockdown in the coop.

Could canker affect his heart? It really seems like a heart issue.

Could he need another round of the metronidazole?

I don't think he has an injury. If he did I would think if there would be some kind of improvement. I also gave him some aspirin the first 3 days. I didn't notice any difference so switched to meloxicam for a few days.

Any ideas? What am I missing?

I guess I stumped the experts!!! Kind of makes me feel better that I didn't miss something simple.

I found an avian heart article linked on BYC . For one type of heart issue if mentioned giving a small dose of Guaifenisen as a bronchodialator. So I tried that and Buddy had a 2 part crow that was stronger this morning. So I gave him a little more to see if it helps.
Still not sure if that is helping his heart or if it is a lung issue.

Posting this in case someone has a similar issue in the future.

Back
Top Bottom