1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick Rooster cured

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by redmacbear23, Oct 30, 2011.

1. redmacbear23

redmacbear23 Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    I found my Cochin Rooster, 1 yr old, looking like a sack of feathers. For a week I held him and fed him eyedroppers of duramycin treated water, crushed chicken meal in weak milk, and sometimes some cream of wheat in milk. I kept him apart in a carrier, with water and food available, but he just laid his head down and was very lethargic. I also saw some mites, so dusted lightly with Sevin. But after a week he got perkier, and started eating and drinking some on his own. He is back to his old self, crowing and strutting for his girls. But what happened? I didn't want to lose him, as he is a great Daddy and protective roo. Any insights? [​IMG]

2. MakNat

MakNat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    WOW!!! Good for you!!! I wish I could have that luck! Seems I spend hours and hours on here trying to figure out what goes wrong with them and how to treat, doing everything only to wind up with dead birds. So happy your roo is back in shape!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. redmacbear23

redmacbear23 Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    Thanks, Maknat! Sounds like you have your hands full anyway. This was the second time the roo was sick, but first time I knew he had been overcome with heat exhaustion. He was ORANGE! Kept liquids in him and he came back. Glad we don't have your humidity here in Colorado mtns. 3 horses, 3 dogs, 7 cats(we know of), 4 Mottled Cochins, 1 Gold Lace Cochin, 1 Gold Lace Wyandotte, 1 White Wy. Had a cow but with all the bear attacks, sold her to a neighbor where she is safer with her calf. Still get the dairy products tho.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Glad he perked up! He could have gotten somewhat anemic from the pests, I suppose. Or perhaps his heart isn't very strong and he needed some extra TLC. In any case, congrats on bringing him around!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by