Sick Rooster lying on the ground.

Nov 6, 2023
I have 20 hens and 1 rooster. The rooster is around 6 months old, and I think he is a Barred Rock. Usually, he is the first to rush to the food at feeding time and he is kind of aggressive. In the last week I noticed that he was a lot quieter. A little while ago we went to the coop and the rooster was lying on the ground, slightly gasping for air. He has been like this since and hasn't moved from the ground. I didn't see any bloody droppings and have no idea what the matter with him is. I don't want my hens to catch a disease. Any help would be appreciated.

I would separate him inside a dog crate with his own food and water. But give him some water with sugar or electrolytes to sip, in case he is dehydrated. If he will drink, then offer som wet chicken feed and egg. Is he able to stand up and walk if you help him to stand? What do his poops look like?

I just started feeding all my chickens layer mash which I ferment. Do you think eating layer mash made the rooster sick?

The rooster is around 6 months old, and I think he is a Barred Rock. Usually, he is the first to rush to the food at feeding time and he is kind of aggressive. In the last week I noticed that he was a lot quieter. A little while ago we went to the coop and the rooster was lying on the ground, slightly gasping for air. He has been like this since and hasn't moved from the ground. I didn't see any bloody droppings and have no idea what the matter with him is. I don't want my hens to catch a disease. Any help would be appreciated.

I just started feeding all my chickens layer mash which I ferment. Do you think eating layer mash made the rooster sick?
If then hens seem to be o.k. then the mash is not likely the cause of his decline. Any mold in the fermented feed?

Can you post photos of him and his poop?

Have you looked him over for lice/mites and injury?
What's his crop like?

I agree, separating him out to his own space is a good idea so he can rest and recover. See if you can get him hydrated, then eating.

Last night I separated him and put a container of water by him. This morning when I checked on him, he was standing! He looks better but still quite sick. I will put some electrolytes in his water and try to give him food. His poop is kind of a slimy brown substance. The fermented food has not been moldy. I don't see lice. I'll try to take some photos. Thanks. :)

How much food would you recommend feeding him? He didn't eat a bite all yesterday. I just gave him around an eighth cup of fermented feed, and he ate like crazy.

Back
Top Bottom