Sick rooster

artistal101

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 16, 2013
I just noticed this morning that my old English bantam roost was looking sick. He was stumbling around and loosing his balance, not really eating or drinking and when I pick him of he didn't even try to run from me. His body temp was also low and he is loosing feathers.

Sorry to hear about this.

I see you're a 'new egg' so here come the questions.

How old is he?
What are his living conditions like?
Are there other chickens?
What do you feed him?
Have you looked him over to see if he has any injuries?
What does his crop feel like?

For now make sure he has clean water and food. Chicken food and a smashed up scrambled egg. If he eats anything it will be the egg.

He's about 1 year old
we have a home made coop about 8 x 6 feet with a run, and about every afternoon I let the chickens out to free range.
we have about 14 others chicken that live in the coop ( most of them about 3 months old) and 13 pigeon. he eats the same a the other chicken, a layer mix, and aside from our new silkies he is the only bantam.as a treat I some times feed my chickens mealworm, which I have gotten him to eat, and as far as I can tell he as no injuries aside from a few missing toenail that looked to have healed awhile ago and his skin feels cold, or at least cold for a chicken.

Can he raise his neck up, or is it droopy and limber, or is it stuck like in wry neck? Could he be weak and dehydrated? Has he been injured? Some diseases I would worry about would be botulism from eating a toxin produced in dead animals, maggots, or rotted vegetation. Also mold in the feed, so I would smell for off-odors and look for mold or discoloration. Lead or heavy metal poisoning, chemicals, or insecticides would be other possibilities. The last possibility is Mareks disease, which can cause sitting on hocks, curled under toes, paralysis of one or both wings or the neck, tumors, and other problems. I would separate him, keep him warm, and give him some SaveAChick or vitamins with electrolytes in his water, and feed him with a dropper if needed. Offer a chopped egg with his feed. He is a sweet-looking little guy, and I hope you can save him. Here is some information about these problems:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/19/botulism/

can he can lift his he but he is low on energy, and there doesn't seem to be any paralysis, but he dose seem to be having some trouble with his legs which as result in him stumbling around like a drunk until he decides to sit down, and even then he usually leans to one side until I help he sit down evenly.

Is it hot where you live? Could he have been kept from water by the others? Is he having any diarrhea or blood in his poop? He is a bit older for coccidiosis, but that could also be a problem. Coccidiosis is treated with Corid (amprollium) in the water. Have you wormed your flock recently. I almost forgot to ask if you have checked him for mites. I would really try to get him drinking electrolytes as often as possible. He looks very ill.

No we live in New England so it doesn't get to late but I think he may be dehydrated, he is the smallest in the flock. As for mites, I'm not sure where to look for them, I have rabbits and usually the congregate in the ears but where do I look for them on a chicken? his poop is runny all white with solid bit of green mix in.

Back
Top Bottom