Sick Rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Old Man Foster, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Old Man Foster

Old Man Foster New Egg

Nov 2, 2011
    Hello everybody. This is my first post and unfortunately it is not a happy one. My wife and I have a Rhode Island Red Rooster who is about 2 years old. His name is Peter. Over the past week or so we have noticed that he is sneezing, and his poop looks watery and foamy. Last night he went to roost earlier than normal. His eyes look fine and I haven't seen any nasal discharge. Last night is sounded like he might be wheezing.

We have 16 other birds and none of them are showing symptoms. Two weeks ago we introduced several new chicks to the coop. The coop is a double walled Rubbermaid shed with straw/hay bedding. Peter is our favorite and we would like to make him better as soon as we can, but we would like to see what we can do on our own. Any suggestions on what we could do for the poor guy to get him feeling better?

Thanks.

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Poor Peter. It does sound like a respiratory infection. Check out this link to see which one you think his symptoms match: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Some
    of the antibiotics listed under treatments can be found a feed/farm stores. I hope he gets better.

3. Old Man Foster

Old Man Foster New Egg

Nov 2, 2011
    Thanks. Nothing on there seems to fit exactly, but I am going to try to see what antibiotics I can find at the Farmer's Co-op.

Someone recommended Vet RX, any thoughts on that? I couldn't find dosage requirements. Some one else recommended sulmet and baytriln. Any thoughts on those?

4. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Vet rx is like vicks vapo rub, it might help symptoms but not much else. I copied this from info from else where about treatment for respiratory infection:

Duramycin-10 (tetracycline hydrochloride) – broad spectrum antibiotics for use in chickens and other livestock. See the drug label information for dosage and usage information. When antibiotic treatment is complete, feed plain yogurt or buttermilk to restore good gut flora.

Tylan 50 – labeled for cattle or swine – use to treat bacterial respiratory infections such as coryza or mycoplasma. Dosage is 1/2 – 1 cc per chicken. When antibiotic treatment is complete, feed plain yogurt or buttermilk to restore good gut flora.

Duramycin and Tylan are the treatments that tend to be available at farm stores in injectable and oral form. I like injectable because I find it easier to make sure the bird is dosed correctly. Batril usually must be from a vet I think. Sulmet is used to treat coccidiosis, I believe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by