Sick Sally

Sorry to say Sally is still the same today. Now I have to decide if I will kill her or take her to the vet. When I worked at a Humane Society many years ago for birds I used sodium pertabarbitol injected into the abdominal cavity - not the stomach but the area that contains the viscera. While I don't think the method of euthanasia was painful, the birds did sometimes seem disoriented and thrash before dying. If I can get my nerve up, I think that quick decapatation would be easier on Sally rather than have to take her in the car to the vet. I want to do a necropsy on her to try to find the cause of her problems. Darn, I wish it didn't have to come to this but I really don't know what else to do. Going to call the vet to see what they will charge for the euthanasia.

I am sorry you are having to make such a hard decision.
sad.png

I had to have a chick put down a month ago due to a spinal injury from a larger hen. The baby was unable to move, you could feel the break in her back. I t was a very sad day. My vet gave the baby gas to put her to sleep then gave her an injection.

I was not in the room. My husband was in there and said it was a very smooth process. He said she just went to sleep in his hand.

Again I pray a miracle happens and Sally gets well.

DeeDee

I put Sally down this afternoon. She was 1/2 the weight of my other girls. I could have tube fed her again but keeping her alive was not fair to her. She is the first chicken I have lost, I hoped that I could have had her with me till she died of old age. My DH made an appointment at the vet but after much thought, I decided to put her down myself. She was my chicken and I was responsible for her, I didn't want to stress her by taking her to the vet and I would have hated myself if I thought she suffered. She went quickly and I think she trusted me. It was time to say good by to her.

Back
Top Bottom