Sick Silkie Hen HELP!

Happy Henny

Songster
May 30, 2018
VA
Ok so I have noticed that my buff silkie hen has been acting weird lately. She has been sitting there with her neck tucked in. She was just standing around. So I would grab her and put her with her friends. She would act a little more active by grooming herself and then stretching her neck out and opening her mouth a bunch (it looked like she was yawning). Today I let my silkies out into a small run that had no shelter. I wet for a bike and it started to rain when I got back it was raining pretty hard so I went inside (forgetting that all of my silkies were out). Later I remembered and grabbed all of my silkies (who were now soaking wet) and put them in the bathtub. I blow dried them all and when I was done I noticed that her eye hadoctor white puss in it. After I finished blow drying them I noticed that her eye was now fully shut with puss around it. I put her in a seperate cage by herself and I have been giving her nutri drench in her water. I have been giving her layer crumble also. I have Tylan 200 and pennisylin available. What does my silkie hen have? TIA:)

A swollen eye with pus might be due to MG (mycoplasma,) a chronic respiratory disease. Tylan 200 should treat symptoms, but you will need to clean her eye and use some Terramycin eye ointment 2-3 times a day. Pus may need to be squeezed out. Pictures would be helpful.

A swollen eye with pus might be due to MG (mycoplasma,) a chronic respiratory disease. Tylan 200 should treat symptoms, but you will need to clean her eye and use some Terramycin eye ointment 2-3 times a day. Pus may need to be squeezed out. Pictures would be helpful.
Thank you for the reply:). Today I took her outside and put her food and water out there with her. She drank a lot of water (the water had nutrients drench in it. For some reason she doesn't eat or drink when she is inside her pet carrier. Her puss on her eye had dried not letting her eye open. At one point she itched it and most of the dry puss came off of her eye, letting her eye open. I saw that there was more puss in her eye still so I took a rag with warm water on it and wiped the remaining puss out of her eye. I then put terramycin on her eye. She has been grooming herself a lot.

You can clean her eye twice a day with warm water or a warm compress to loosen any crust that seals the eye closed. Then use the Terramycin 2-3 times a day. If using the Tylan 200, I would give 0.1 ml orally 2-3 times a day for 5 days.

You can clean her eye twice a day with warm water or a warm compress to loosen any crust that seals the eye closed. Then use the Terramycin 2-3 times a day. If using the Tylan 200, I would give 0.1 ml orally 2-3 times a day for 5 days.
I have been injecting her with .1 ml of Tylan 200 once a day. Is that enough?

Back
Top Bottom