Sick silkie

Bring

Songster
10 Years
Jul 16, 2009
New Mexico
My one year old silkie hen is sick, I think. She's eating, drinking and acting fine. No lethargy or droopiness. She is however breathing very loudly. Kind of a "popping" noise when she breaths. Sounds like she's congested. She's very loud when she breaths. I first noticed it about a week ago. I know she has double bumblefoot and I am researching how to treat that. Could the bumble foot have anything to do with her breathing? Her eyes are clear and bright. No nasal discharge. She does cough or sneeze but not a whole lot. How do I remedy it? She's in a flock of seven and nobody else is displaying the same symptoms. Help!

The bumblefoot is caused by a staph bacteria. I think respiratory infections are usually due to other types of bacteria, but at any rate it sounds like she needs some antibiotics before it gets worse. Maybe do a search on respiratory illness and see what other owners have used. I had one that was very gurgly sounding a couple of years ago, and I bought Tylan50 injectable (which can either be given by injection or orally). I chose to give it IM with an insulin syringe. From what I've heard, chickens don't get "colds" like humans, and many of the respiratory illnesses chickens get don't ever get "cured"; they only go dormant and the chickens remain carriers.
sad.png
I hope your bird gets better soon.

Back
Top Bottom