sick six week old

western edge

Songster
Apr 5, 2010
Edge of the Bakken
one of my six week old chicks has a swollen crop area, droopy sick look, losing weight. I have seen her drink so much water that when i pick her up it runs from her mouth. She still eats a little each time i feed them. i put them on Sulmet for four days now and although the sick chick does not seem to be getting any better, the other 15 chicks show no such signs. Monday i plan on contacting the local vet but maybe someone out there has a diagnosis on this. The chicks were on medicated feed from day one and recently ive added some rolled oats to the ration. Another new thing ive added is fresh cut alfalfa and grasses to the pen for them to pick on. Thanks for reading. Mel

I've got nothing to prove it, but I'd say that fresh cut grass is the #1 cause of impacted and sour crops. When a chicken free ranges and eats grass, they're able to peck small pieces (less than 1/2" long) because the grass is solid in the ground. When we throw cut grass into the pen for them to eat, they can't take small bites, they have to eat each blade in total, like spaghetti - even if it's 3" or 4" long. This long grass binds up in the crop, can't get processed, and eventually turns sour to poison the bird. Since their crop won't empty, they feel no hunger and will stop eating. They usually continue to drink, but can't even move the water past that grass impaction, so they'll throw it back up. There are some very good threads on BYC on how to deal with an impacted crop. Just use the search function with the terms "impacted crow" or "sour crop."

Last edited:
Thanks motherjean. that does sound like it may be the prob. I have stopped the cut grass already thinking it may have been the cause. The pullet is getting better also, after a little massaging and pampering, her crop is back to normal and shes eating better.

Back
Top Bottom