Sick snotty bantams

Very good point. If there is odor from the nostrils or beak it's Baytril first. Anything else will just treat the symptoms and not the cause.

If you do not know what you are dealing with an antibiotic may not be the answer.

You can not treat a viral infection with an antibiotic. Please, everyone be sure to post this with your suggestions when you try to help by telling which antibiotic has worked for you in certain situations. Unfortunately, we are not vets, have not done a barn call to the OP and there are no pics of this disease posted so far.

I had a nasty run of something go through my barn this last fall. I still see a few birds with a reduced symptom load, but sick all the same and STILL do not know exactly what the hell it was.

chickenzoo...where are they located?
are they in Australia?
in Australia, they can get Baytril without a vet..but need a vet for getting Tylan.

They are in US, I didn't have a problem with the link.
Click on it, go to shop online, then medications.
Pills and injectable need a RX, but in liquid form you can buy it from some pet supplies for parrots etc.
Note: Please know what you are dealing with & what Meds you truly need

"Baytril - 10% Liquid

Treats a wide range of bacterial infections in birds.Mix 2ml to a quart of drinking water for the first 4 days, then mix 1ml to a quart of drinking water for the remaining 6 to 10 days. The medication of choice for Paratyphoid, E-Coli, Ornithosis, and Respiratory infections."

25 ml $25.49 www.allbirdproducts.com

Last edited:
Unless I'm overlooking it I dont think I seen a reply on if there was an odor or not.... If there is an odor I'm sorry but it def is the coryza, And uless you just plan on keepin the birds as pets til the day they die and dont get anyothers you'll have to do as I did.. I brought 2 home and the hen got the coryza thinkin she picked it up from the sale. I nursed her for over a month and she sill wasnt 100%. The disease is rough. But if you have and other chickens it puts them at risk. I ended up havin to cull my chicken...There's a post on here somewheres...

Quote:
That's too bad...
Sebrights are "work". All of mine got sick with various respiratory problems and I got my Baytril from Foys. Nevertheless, I lost 90% of them. They require warmth. The slightest chill, and it seems they get sick!

Good luck!

I am so sad about all these "sick birds from auction" stories. My personal solution is to cull them. These diseases, most of them with that symptom, will make them carriers for their lifetime, meaning they can infect your entire flock, even if they seem to recover. This is why I refuse to ever buy birds from anyone. You set up a cycle of disease in your flock and weaken the entire flock. You will always be treating stuff if you allow them in the flock, IMO. I"m sorry someone sold you sick birds. Remember, many diseases chickens get are herpes type viruses and you know that is permanent.

Back
Top Bottom