Sick, then fine, then sick again?

JeffinCA

Hatching
5 Years
Dec 19, 2014
Hey all, I have a flock of 4 birds, 3 Buff Orphs and 1 Araucauna. The Araucauna is usually full of energy (she's about 9 months old), until 2 days ago (Sunday). On Sunday, they all had a totally normal day. About 7PM, she changed - went from totally normal, to having a drooping tail, moving really slow, and her butt feathers sort of pulsing in/out with her breath.

I checked her for a bound egg (she did lay that morning) and felt nothing. I did see a lump of runny poop near her, brownish in color, but not sure if it was hers. I did notice she seemed quite a bit skinnier than I remembered - but she's very high energy and usually hard to catch so this may be a misnomer. Anyhow, I didn't know what to do so I put them away as usual, and the next morning (Monday) she was spry and totally normal. I thought Pfew! All is well. They had a normal day yesterday, and this morning when I went out there (Tuesday) she's on the roost, staying inside, and all droopy again.

Does this sound like anything common, that would cause her to be fine one day, sick, then fine again, then sick again? 1 day apart? Yesterday she ate well, seemed hungry, and energetic.

I did change their food on Saturday from one brand of organic laying crumbles to another so I guess its possible that she's somehow got issues with the new food? The other thing is that the past week or two they've been out grazing on some new grass for a few hours a day - but all the others seem to be fine, and they love the grass it would seem.

Any bells ring for what this might be? Any suggestions? Unfortunately, on my last flock I had a sick chicken and we called every vet in town and none of them could be arsed to help us - and so we ended up giving the bird to a friend who cared for her til it was clear she wasn't going to recover, and he did the deed of putting her out of her misery. I hate the thought of that, but what I learned is that there are no vets here in my area that care about chickens.

Thanks for any ideas...

If she's thin and losing weight, I would suspect either Coccidiosis or worms.

Do you hear her sneezing, see nasal discharge, or hear wheezing?

Has she laid since that morning?

I would separate her and put her someplace warm, dim, and quiet to observe her poops, intake of food and water, and behavior. A healthy chicken will protest quite loudly at being crated... a sick chicken will appreciate it.

Do you have Corid on hand?

When was the last time you wormed your chickens?

MrsB

Thanks much.

Never wormed them.

No nasal discharge, no sneezing.

She hasn't laid since then - but not abnormal - she usually lays once every other day it seems.

I don't have Corid, I'll do some reading on that.

Funny - she was lethargic this morning, and I checked on her after writing that post, and she seems mostly "normal" again - eating, tail feathers up, etc. She's moving a little more slowly than usual, but really not that different.

Would worm behavior be something that comes and goes like this? Almost black and white behavior...

Keep in mind that chickens will hide their symptoms until they can't anymore... The moment you see one acting off, take action and either intensify spying or confine for closer observation. It can make all the difference.

If they have access to free-ranging and you've never wormed them, I would seriously consider doing so if they are six months or older. Happy chickens get worms. :)

Corid treats a protozoa that does damage to the intestines and prevents proper absorption of nutrients, leading to illness and weight loss. Lethargy, hunching, and runny, bloody poops are the symptoms. It is very common in 2-3 week old chicks, but mature birds can get it, too.

Worms cause lethargy, listlessness, and weight loss, and you may even see worms pass in poops (but not always!).

^ Here's a picture, because
sickbyc.gif
. A cockerel in my flock had roundworms... He was lethargic with his tail down before we treated him.

It is a good idea to run preventative Corid every now and again, and to worm once or twice a year... and more often as needed. Valbazen liquid goat wormer and Safe Guard for horses are the best wormers to use in a rotation to prevent resistance. Valbazen treats every single worm known to chickendom, so worm with that one first.

1/2 cc given orally for a standard bird should do the trick! Repeat treatment again in 10 days (5 days if you see tapeworms)... 14 day withdrawal from the last dose. (For exact dosage by weight, hunt down a post with Casportpony in it... the links are in her signature.)

Keep us posted!

MrsB

Thanks MrsBrooke for the help. I wanted to give an update on my little birds...

So, after about 4 days or so she was back to her normal self, slowly recovering, a little better each day. She's now eating like normal, and her tail feathers are up and strong. She's laying again (phew) and as far as I can tell is 100%.

The day before she got sick, it was cold and windy, and I wonder if she just got something akin to the flu or a cold. I don't know, but now its 1 week since it started and like I said she's (as far as I can tell) totally normal.

My wife is traveling, and is the bird-farmer - so when she gets home in a few weeks I think we'll go down the worming road.

Thanks for the help!

Thanks MrsBrooke for the help. I wanted to give an update on my little birds...

So, after about 4 days or so she was back to her normal self, slowly recovering, a little better each day. She's now eating like normal, and her tail feathers are up and strong. She's laying again (phew) and as far as I can tell is 100%.

The day before she got sick, it was cold and windy, and I wonder if she just got something akin to the flu or a cold. I don't know, but now its 1 week since it started and like I said she's (as far as I can tell) totally normal.

My wife is traveling, and is the bird-farmer - so when she gets home in a few weeks I think we'll go down the worming road.

Thanks for the help!

While birds don't "catch colds" or have allergies, they can be affected by sudden changes in weather. As summer approaches, and we are greeted by the lovely Texas heat and coastal humidity, my hens have dropped back their egg production. Can't say I blame them.

Glad to hear your mama is recovering. :)

MrsB

Back
Top Bottom