Sick turkey chick!

Make sure you have the poult on Turkey Starter or Game Bird Feed. And, continue those vitamins.They require higher protein than chickens. I raise turkeys and quail and have mine on Game Bird Feed. You’re incredible to rescue that little one. 🥰 I hope you are able to determine what’s happening. Focus on good nutrition and warmth. Hopefully, that will at least be enough to help the poult fight through it. I’ve never had one with a flabby-looking abdomen… only chubby, filled with the absorbed yolk after hatch. You mentioned that he was being trampled. An unwell poult getting trampled could’ve caused some type of injury in addition to already feeling unwell. I wish I could help you more and hope that he gets better soon!

Make sure you have the poult on Turkey Starter or Game Bird Feed. And, continue those vitamins.They require higher protein than chickens. I raise turkeys and quail and have mine on Game Bird Feed. You’re incredible to rescue that little one. 🥰 I hope you are able to determine what’s happening. Focus on good nutrition and warmth. Hopefully, that will at least be enough to help the poult fight through it. I’ve never had one with a flabby-looking abdomen… only chubby, filled with the absorbed yolk after hatch. You mentioned that he was being trampled. An unwell poult getting trampled could’ve caused some type of injury in addition to already feeling unwell. I wish I could help you more and hope that he gets better soon!
Thank you for your reply. So far he is doing ok. He started today with opening his mouth and sticking his neck out like he's choking but can't find anything in his mouth. He seems ok other than that but from what the vet says it is called mushy chick and it is always fatal within two weeks of birth. I'm just making sure he is happy and loved until something happens whatever that may be.

Thank you for your reply. So far he is doing ok. He started today with opening his mouth and sticking his neck out like he's choking but can't find anything in his mouth. He seems ok other than that but from what the vet says it is called mushy chick and it is always fatal within two weeks of birth. I'm just making sure he is happy and loved until something happens whatever that may be.
Thank you so much for the update. You’re kindness is giving him a wonderful life, while he’s here. He’s LOVED. Please give him a tiny cuddle from me. ❤️ And, let me know how he’s doing.

Thank you so much for the update. You’re kindness is giving him a wonderful life, while he’s here. He’s LOVED. Please give him a tiny cuddle from me. ❤️ And, let me know how he’s doing.
I certainly will give him a cuddle for you thank you for checking on him he's still here not doing so good today he seems to be gasping for air every time he eats so I'm thinking that he's building up fluid which is not good there's really not a whole lot I can do about that I'm just trying to keep him comfortable is only two options are gasped and choke after he eats or starve and so I'm kind of at a loss I may call my vet and just see about having him put down humanely so that he doesn't suffer I will let you know thank you

I certainly will give him a cuddle for you thank you for checking on him he's still here not doing so good today he seems to be gasping for air every time he eats so I'm thinking that he's building up fluid which is not good there's really not a whole lot I can do about that I'm just trying to keep him comfortable is only two options are gasped and choke after he eats or starve and so I'm kind of at a loss I may call my vet and just see about having him put down humanely so that he doesn't suffer I will let you know thank you
Just wondering if your vet ever put him on any antibiotics. Thank you for continuing to update. He’s a little fighter, even though he may be losing this battle. I’m so sorry. 😞 I love raising poults, so I’m appreciative for your effort with this special little one. Did you name him? I’ve never dealt with mushy chick, but I do know that they usually don’t make it. So sad that he didn’t begin his life as a happy, healthy poult. ❤️

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom