1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick turkey! Help!

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by littleolddog, Dec 15, 2015.

1. littleolddog

littleolddog New Egg

Dec 15, 2015
    I have a sick turkey. He was fine yesterday. This morning he didn't want to stand. He is doing some mouth breathing, sounds a bit raspy, breathing a bit heavy. I currently have him in the house since we are having a huge snow storm. I have Tylan 50, Vet Rx for poultry. Not sure what to use on him. He's about 7 months old and weighs about 50 lbs. Thanks for any help on what to do.

2. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    From the age and size you described. Sounds like a broad breasted variety.

If that is what it is they are prone to weak legs and heart failure. I have used tylan for respitory infections I would try that and see if the bird clears up.

Sorry not much more help.

3. littleolddog

littleolddog New Egg

Dec 15, 2015
    Thanks for your reply. Yes, it is a bronze turkey. Did you inject the Tylan 50? I've read conflicting reports on how to give Tylan.

4. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Wish I could be more help. Post over on the Emergencys Thread. Someone over there may be able to help.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    How is your turkey?

-Kathy

6. Wildhorse22

Wildhorse22 New Egg

Dec 25, 2015
    Need to know more about turkey acting drunk cause I have a hen doing this behavior

7. retlaw

retlaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Drunk turkey = blackhead

8. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO

Welcome to BYC.

How old is the hen, what variety of turkey (Heritage/or a Broad Breasted commercial - If a BB, how much does she weigh?). How many turkeys do you have and have you noticed any changes in their behavior? Have any of them had a change in droppings - for example, yellowish and runny? - sometimes diagnostic for "Blackhead"/Histomoniasis. What is their standard ration? Has it been particularly wet and warm at your location? Is the hen otherwise acting "puny" (head and wings hanging low - feathers on torso "fluffed-out")? How many days since you first noticed "drunkenness"? Did it appear suddenly or over a period of days?

"Drunken" behavior: Secondary to Histomoniasis, exposure to a mycotoxin (moldy feed/foraging in such areas as a sodden compost pile, etc.), head injury - strike on roosting bar/branch, etc., "hips giving out" - usually seen in BB's - and...

This site might be helpful: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/

Click on: Avian Encephalomyelitis (epidemic tremor), compare list of signs/symptoms. Not matching? scroll to bottom of page. There will be a list of associated diseases/conditions with similar signs/symptom sets - go back to list and compare/add/discard each of those & like diseases (pretty much performing an `exam' so as to make a differential diagnosis Rule-Out/In)..

Observe for feed/water intake, any `twisting/rigid posturing of the neck/head.

Please post up any additional signs, any other changes in severity of symptoms or any improvement - never know what additional info might lead to answer(s).

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by