Sick Turkey Poults?

DarkWingDuck

Chirping
11 Years
Apr 1, 2009
Meville
On the 29th of April, I received my order of 10 bourbon red turkeys from Ideal Poultry. Two of them arrived dead and another died soon after. I just chalked it up to shipping stress and called for my refund. Today, however, I picked up one of my poults and a large bubble of clear fluid came out of his nostrils and popped. After picking him up again, clear fluid came running out of his mouth. When I hold one up to my ear, I can hear a slight popping sound (one per breath).

They have been kept in a brooder with plenty of heat, water and food. I haven't exposed them to any other birds, so I don't know where this problem came from. Does anyone have a good guess what the ailment might be? If so, what's the best way to treat it?

I am not certain its an ailment. Chicks,poults,gosslings,and ducklings can at times literally overfill themselves with food and water. It couldve been that when you picked it up you caused some of the water consumed to be regurgetated. Keep an eye on them and look for weekness and lethargy. You might even separate it into another brooder. My guess is just a little overfilled poult spit up.

Now one is slouching over, closing his eyes and acting as if he has no energy (just like the one that died soon after arrival). I tried mixing a tsp of mollasses with a tsp of apple cider vinager with a gallon of water and putting some in his mouth with a syringe like some other threads suggested. I also mixed some sugar with a tsp of vinager in their waterer with the hopes that no others would get weak in the first place.

After looking around the forum for a while, it seems that turkey poults are very fragile creatures. Do turkeys remain so hard to keep, or do they become strong and have stable health as adults? Also, do poults fare better if naturally raised by their mother?

Last edited:
I'm not sure that they are fragile considering their small size and the lack of maternal care.

We had five one month old poults come to us with infections from mosquito bites on the face. It's almost certain death here. They survived and thrived. I believe the reason is that we called in a vet. There's excellent advice on BYC but if your not sure and you fear a painful, untimely death, get hold of an expert.

the first few weeks are the time when they are the most fragile i think they get a bit stronger after that. keep em inside until at least 8 weeks but really the first two are the most crucial in fragility. what you have to worry about is them geting into trouble they are very curious so they end up in danger often. that is why it is good to keep them inside longer than the chicks.

Last edited:
Well, in my opinion, if Ideal packed a heating pad with the babies, they would have a MUCH better chance. I got my hatchlings lat week, and they were quite cold by the time I got them home. MY Pet Chicken however, DOES use a heating pad and the babies are much better off! Good luck to you and the babies...

Nancy

Hey how did your turkey fare did he live or die? The reason i ask i had a bbw die yesterday and today one of my burban reds had a bunch of clear slim come out when i pick him up. I really hope it was a spit up. Though i did notice he seamed a little shaky as he was walking around but he was eating and drinking alittle. there only 4 days old

I have a 6wk old poult that has gradually become lethargic over the ladt 1-1/2 wks and is wasting away, tries to eat but clearly doesn't feel like it, he hunched up and looks like he won't make it. The vet says they can't do anything. Now today I have another one frm a different clutch that's doing the same. Does anyone have any ideas please...because I'm all out. :(

The sickest one hasn't pooped in days and the other one has normal looking poo maybe a little runny. The worst one is completely off his crumble and the other is only happy to eat small crickets and grass hoppers but no crumble.

Back
Top Bottom