Sick Turkey?

LexsPeeps

Songster
Apr 2, 2017
Kentucky
A couple weeks ago we took in a hen turkey in hopes for her to breed with our toms. They haven't paid her much mind since we vrought her in, they are about 8 months and the hen is about 2 years. Is this normal or is something wrong?
Also the last few days she hasn't wanted to eat much but sits by the water. I put vitamins and electrolytes in the water and gave her 1cc of tylan50 last night. I went to check on her and found some very odd looking poop. Could anyone tell me whats going on? Our 2 tom turkeys are doing fine
20170724_161831.jpg

Is she a broad breasted? They will stand or sit in the water when they are hot. They will also drink more and will have looser droppings. Did you feed something with a green coloring to it?

Honestly I don't know her breed, the tom that looks like her likes to stand in our duck pool alot. Her bread is very broad and wide if that helps. She hasn't ate from what I've seen in about 2 days, I feed 16% layer fermented and house scraps on occasion, nothing out of the ordinary

I generally don't pay too much attention to my turkeys poop because it can be all kinds of consistency, and occasionally colors. Mine get greenish poop when they eat greens.

Sounds like she's probably a broad breasted, if your others are too they probably can't reproduce naturally. Generally broad breasted have a shortened life span with most going by 2 years of age due to the extra weight on their heart and respiratory system. My guess is she's extremely stressed by the warmer weather.

When we got her she was very over weight and hardly moved, shen we brought her home she became more active and social, before the hot hot heat moved in. Some breeds of turkey can't reproduce on their own? I've heard of the meat turkeys normally being overweight and not living long lives because of it but I haven't heard or read that. I'm still pretty new to turkeys though

All the heritage varieties can reproduce and live longer lives. There are all different colors and kinds, just stay away from the broad breasted which are bred for quick growth, not a long life.

Back
Top Bottom