Sick with worry! HELP!

Pics

FlemingFarms

Chirping
Nov 17, 2021
So I've had a chicken that is a different breed from the rest, who was a slow grower and always a bit ostracized by the rest. She seemed to be doing ok and they mostly ignore eachother, occasionally they will bully her away from food but I always make sure to put some food elsewhere for her and make sure she eats. Anyways, we have also recently introduced a rooster to the flock as the neighbors rooster was always visiting without permission. The neighbor urged us to let him stay so he has been and the girls seem to like having him around. Well, this morning, Brownie (the little slow grower loner girl) is badly injured and I don't know what to do! (Please don't say cull her, as that's the absolute last resort, she is like a pet and our favorite little underdog). She has a bloody place where some feathers are missing up below her head and her whole bottom seems torn up and bleeding. She's missing some feathers and I think she may have a broken toe. I immediately brought her into the house (I have an extra nesting box so I put her in there on a towel and with a little food and water). I am willing to keep her in the house while she heals but her injuries worry me! Could this be damage from the rooster? Or the other girls pecking at her? I'll attach photos of the injuries. I'm literally sick to my stomach and have been crying since I found her. The first pic is the top of her wing area below the head and the second is her bottom taken from underneath. 😭😭😭I'm sick... if this was the damn rooster, he's outta here. I'll cull him myself.

Attachments

• brownie1.jpg
    brownie1.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 39
  • brownie4.jpg
    brownie4.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 9
I am willing to keep her in the house while she heals but her injuries worry me! Could this be damage from the rooster? Or the other girls pecking at her? I'll attach photos of the injuries.
Unless you install a coop camera, you will not know for sure, who did it to her and when.

Here is what I would do:

Keep her inside, treat her wounds daily and when she is all healed up and well again, I would rehome her, as this is very likely to happen again as soon as you try to reintroduce her to your flock.

Or you could get another separate coop and run for her and maybe one or two young pullets of a docile breed to keep her company.

What exactly are you feeding your flock?

And how big is your run/coop/setup? Could you post some pictures of it?

How many chickens in total and what breeds?

What exactly are you feeding your flock?

And how big is your run/coop/setup? Could you post some pictures of it?

How many chickens in total and what breeds?
I'm feeding them Dumor pellets for egg layers, and a mixture of black sunflower seeds, corn and scratch to keep them busy and happy. The pic in my profile is the coop setup with the yard and shed, the whole shed is their coop with pine shavings on the floor and several roosting areas etc. I've got 10 hens and a small rooster I didn't want but won't go away. LOL. I don't know the breeds because I'm new at this and ordered "brown, green and blue" egg layer chicks. I seem to have 4 golden ones, two colorful large bearded ones, a reddish one, two golden/white ones and this dark one who got hurt.

Attachments

• 252148355_10159751259049532_9045500865851986683_n.jpg
    252148355_10159751259049532_9045500865851986683_n.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 7
  • a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    486.9 KB · Views: 9
  • a2.jpg
    a2.jpg
    974 KB · Views: 9
  • a3.jpg
    a3.jpg
    761.5 KB · Views: 10
  • a4.jpg
    a4.jpg
    838.6 KB · Views: 12
Unless you install a coop camera, you will not know for sure, who did it to her and when.

Here is what I would do:

Keep her inside, treat her wounds daily and when she is all healed up and well again, I would rehome her, as this is very likely to happen again as soon as you try to reintroduce her to your flock.

Or you could get another separate coop and run for her and maybe one or two young pullets of a docile breed to keep her company.
I will definitely keep her inside until she is fully healed. We were thinking of adding some chicks in spring, so I might try to incorporate her with them if she survives this. She has always been smaller than the rest so if I could figure out her breed maybe I could get more of the same. She seems to be the only one of her kind. I also think we may have left the light on in the coop and that could have added to everyone's stress. Not sure, but love this little fighter and hate to see this happen. Thanks for your help!

We live in California and our duck was attacked by a huge hawk yesterday , her injuries look similar , is it possible that a hawk could have attacked her? Especially if she was off to the side alone without the rest of the flock
Nope, it happened while they were locked in the coop. The shed in my profile pic is their coop (the whole thing). I'm so sorry about your duck! I don't really know what to do. I have her in a nesting box in my home office and she did drink some water. I'm hoping she sleeps a lot and then I can re-evaluate her. The bottom is the worst part. After researching, it looks like most likely pecking. I'm not sure why but she has always been picked on a little by the others. (so upsetting!!!) I pray your duck gets better! 💜

Update: She is drinking water and resting. I was happy to see her stand up and turn around and go peck at the food and then she drank a bunch of water and now she's laying down. I'm so worried here. 😓😥

Attachments

• IMG_20211208_144357[1746].jpg
    IMG_20211208_144357[1746].jpg
    488.8 KB · Views: 10
I will definitely keep her inside until she is fully healed. We were thinking of adding some chicks in spring, so I might try to incorporate her with them if she survives this. She has always been smaller than the rest so if I could figure out her breed maybe I could get more of the same. She seems to be the only one of her kind. I also think we may have left the light on in the coop and that could have added to everyone's stress. Not sure, but love this little fighter and hate to see this happen. Thanks for your help!
Desinfect the wounds and spray with triple antibiotic ointment twice a day. She should heal up nicely within 7-10 days.

Could you post a picture of her so we can try to determine her breed? Is she perhaps a bantam hen?

How much space does you run provide for them? Are there any bushes or other objects to hide under or behind? It is important that they are able to get out of each others sight to rest.

Do you have several feeders and water dispenders or just one for all?

Thank you for the pictures. Your flock seems to consist of some different kind of laying hybrids and Easter eggers.

I'm feeding them Dumor pellets for egg layers, and a mixture of black sunflower seeds, corn and scratch to keep them busy and happy.
What percentage of protein does this Dumor feed provide? The kind of laying hybrids you have need 18-20% protein adn any additional treats you feed as corn, scratch etc. will lower the percentage and the balance of their feed.

Laying hybrids such as RIR-mix, Golden Comets or whatever fantasy names the hatchery will give them, are prone to feather pecking and cannibalism if their feed does not provide enough protein.

You could switch to an all flock (20% protein) with oyster shell and grit on the side.

Last edited:
Update: She is drinking water and resting. I was happy to see her stand up and turn around and go peck at the food and then she drank a bunch of water and now she's laying down. I'm so worried here. 😓😥
Poor thing, she must be in shock.

To perk her up prepare some scrambled egg with millet and a bit of fine rolled oats and add some electrolytes and vitamins to her water.

Did she have a normal tail prior to the attack? If not, she might be an Araucana which are usually more delicate and docile than EE or laying hybrids.

Back
Top Bottom