Sick with worry! HELP!

Desinfect the wounds and spray with triple antibiotic ointment twice a day. She should heal up nicely within 7-10 days.

Could you post a picture of her so we can try to determine her breed? Is she perhaps a bantam hen?

How much space does you rung proveide for them? Are there any bushes or other objects to hide under or behind?

Do you have several feeders and water dispenders or just one for all?

Thank you for the pictures. Your flocks seems to consist of some different kind of laying hybrids and Easter eggers.

What percentage of protein does this Dumor feed provide? The kind of laying hybrids you have need 18-20% protein adn any additional treats you feed as corn, scratch etc. will lower the percentage and the balance of their feed.

Laying hybrids such as RIR-mix, Golden Comets or whatever fantasy names the hatchery will give them, are prone to feather pecking and cannibalism if their feed does not provide enough protein.

You could switch to an all flock (20% protein) with oyster shell and grit on the side.
Yes! My husband is going to get me some antibiotic ointment for her. I will happily post more pics I would LOVE to know what breed she is. OMG I DIDN"T KNOW about needing more protein. I will switch them back to 20%. I do provide oyster shell and grit always along with their food and snacks (I leave those dishes down and just keep them filled). I had no idea about the pecking issues related to protein! I think maybe that plus the "too much light" might have been a very bad combo for this sweet girl. (Realized the light has been on inside the coop for too long. I thought it was on a timer but apparently, I was mistaken) There are many places to hide and she often does. I'm guessing she's been picked on more than I knew. She was a late bloomer and just recently grew in her full feathers (she was born in June)

Attachments

• IMG_20211112_160903[1752].jpg
    IMG_20211112_160903[1752].jpg
    850.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20211112_160920[1748].jpg
    IMG_20211112_160920[1748].jpg
    982.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20211119_082253[1749].jpg
    IMG_20211119_082253[1749].jpg
    530.7 KB · Views: 3
Poor thing, she must be in shock.

To perk her up prepare some scrambled egg with millet and a bit of fine rolled oats and add some electrolytes and vitamins to her water.

Did she have a normal tail prior to the attack? If not, she might be an Araucana which are usually more delicate and docile than EE or laying hybrids.
I will do that! I did add the electrolytes into the water (had some left from when they were babies) Her tail has always been... lacking. She was very late to feather compared to the others and always seemed behind in everything. I attached a pic from before the injury. Also, they all just started laying eggs. Not sure if that has something to do with this.

Attachments

• IMG_20211112_160920[1748].jpg
    IMG_20211112_160920[1748].jpg
    982.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20211112_160903[1752].jpg
    IMG_20211112_160903[1752].jpg
    850.2 KB · Views: 2
I think maybe that plus the "too much light" might have been a very bad combo for this sweet girl. (Realized the light has been on inside the coop for too long. I thought it was on a timer but apparently, I was mistaken)
Yes, too much light will make them restless and aggressive.

From your picture, she looks like a rumpless Araucana to me.

Did you get them all at the same time or was she added later to your flock?

Desinfect the wounds and spray with triple antibiotic ointment twice a day. She should heal up nicely within 7-10 days.

Could you post a picture of her so we can try to determine her breed? Is she perhaps a bantam hen?

How much space does you run provide for them? Are there any bushes or other objects to hide under or behind? It is important that they are able to get out of each others sight to rest.

Do you have several feeders and water dispenders or just one for all?

Thank you for the pictures. Your flock seems to consist of some different kind of laying hybrids and Easter eggers.

What percentage of protein does this Dumor feed provide? The kind of laying hybrids you have need 18-20% protein adn any additional treats you feed as corn, scratch etc. will lower the percentage and the balance of their feed.

Laying hybrids such as RIR-mix, Golden Comets or whatever fantasy names the hatchery will give them, are prone to feather pecking and cannibalism if their feed does not provide enough protein.

You could switch to an all flock (20% protein) with oyster shell and grit on the side.
I just realized I was so excited to have your help determining breed I didn't answer your questions :lol:. The run is a big yard space with different areas. I have two waterers, one inside the coop and one that I put out during the day. I keep them both in the coop at night hanging in different areas. I spread their food out some, as I want them to have something to do. I give the morning feeding on a large plastic lid thing and they can all have space to go around and then I sprinkle the "snacks" (scratch and corn and sunflower seeds) around the yard. I had them on 20% but when they started laying I switched them to 17% protein I think. I'll switch back for sure. You are educating me here! Thank you so much for your help!!!

Yes, too much light will make them restless and aggressive.

From your picture, she looks like a rumpless Araucana to me.

Did you get them all at the same time or was she added later to your flock?
I got them all at the same time. Ordered from Tractor Supply and they came in the mail... All I knew was that they would be brown, green or blue layers. My first flock, so I'm making plenty of mistakes. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help!

I got them all at the same time. Ordered from Tractor Supply and they came in the mail... All I knew was that they would be brown, green or blue layers. My first flock, so I'm making plenty of mistakes. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help!
The hybrids are the brown layers, the Easter Eggers will lay green and she will be the blue layer.

My rumpless Araucanas were always the outsiders in my flocks, so I usually would give them their own coop and separate run as they would often get bullied.

Maybe get some more and set up "The Araucana Coop" for them.

We all made mistakes when we first started this wonderful hobby, so don't worry. Everyone here at BYC will be glad to help you to the best of their abilities. :)

The hybrids are the brown layers, the Easter Eggers will lay green and she will be the blue layer.

My rumpless Araucanas were always the outsiders in my flocks, so I usually would give them their own coop and separate run as they would often get bullied.

Maybe get some more and set up "The Araucana Coop" for them.

We all made mistakes when we first started this wonderful hobby, so don't worry. Everyone here at BYC will be glad to help you to the best of their abilities. :)
OMG..... I found the FIRST BLUE EGG today... last night she must have been laying it and maybe making a ruckus and the others attacked her. Oh I feel so terrible!!!!!!!!! Literally the first blue egg. You're brilliant- I get a pretty solid mix of green and brown (different shades of both) but today was the first blue egg. Things are starting to make sense. I might just do that (make an "Araucana Coop" for her and get Araucana chicks in the spring.) The other girls have always treated her like the red headed step-child hahahah. Oh boy. I have an enormous coop for the others then. I wonder if I could divide the shed somehow.... You've been so helpful and reassuring! Thanks so much!

How ist your little patient doing today?
To be honest, I'm not sure but I'm hopeful if that makes sense. I realize how little I know about the care of chickens, but am doing everything I can to help her. We trimmed her feathers away from where the poop was collecting and that seemed helpful. We've washed and now are using chicken wound spray on the wounds 2-3 times per day and trying to keep the area as clean as possible. We got our old dog cage back so we've moved her into a bigger area and she is alert and she does move around. She's standing and walking (I'm pretty sure one toe is broken and will try to investigate that further later today) and she is steady now. She's eating but there has not been much poop and I'm a little concerned because she seems to try to poop but it just kind of dribbles down and she toots (when she pushes). Otherwise, the wounds seem to be healing and I'm cautiously hopeful. I'll post a pic of her in her new digs. Oh, and I should add that she is trying to clean herself too. She keeps gently grooming that area.

Attachments

• Brownies new digs.jpg
    Brownies new digs.jpg
    583.6 KB · Views: 2
How ist your little patient doing today?
She is also moving around enough to be making a huge mess of her food! lol I hung the xylophone toy so she'd have something to do and put a blanket over half the cage to make it feel more safe.

Attachments

• Brownie's mess.jpg
    Brownie's mess.jpg
    586.7 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom