Sick young chicken with vague symptoms

chiqita

Crowing
8 Years
Aug 29, 2011
San Jose, Ca
3 days ago one of my silkie 18 ( or so) week olds didn't go into the pen. In the morning she was sitting right where I put her hadn't moved and when I put her out she still wasn't active. So I took her inside to isolate her and noticed she was also not eating or drinking and making a smacking sound. She gets up and down, sleeps a lot, moves from side to side in the pen. her vent is clean, she has pooed twice they are small but normal ( expected because she wont eat or drink.) her crop is clear, her eyes are clear ( as far as I can tell, shes very fluffy) croup is empty, breathing is clear.
I have given her sulfed in the little water I can get down her in case of cocci, and rooster booster vits in case of brain swelling. ( don't see any pecks, but all I could think of)

I am dribbling water on her beak every hour or so, and got her to eat a tiny bit of yogurt, but no other treats like black solider flies or melon. I'm betting she is dehydrated after 2 days of not drinking, but that all I can figure out.

Anything else I should be checking for? She is very friendly and Id like to do what I can for her.

Well, I went down to double check everyone else and found another chick with snot all over her nose and eyes. So we decided despite lack of breathing sounds to treat them both. Went to the store and they recommended oxytetracycline so we are trying that. New one is not lethargic at ALL however, and was pleased as punch to have her own feed bowl to pig out in, so I'm not 100% sure they have the same thing.

PS ty for looking, i know its very vague and I appreciate people looking and thinking even if they don't have answers.

Last edited:
Well, one you are treating for cocci and that's good. The other has a respiratory issue and should get Tylan or something. In fact you may want to treat everyone with Tylan or an antibiotic for a respiratory illness because it's most likely exposed everyone. Did you introduce new chickens recently?

Back
Top Bottom