sick young pullet

zoostahl

Chirping
9 Years
Mar 10, 2011
We have only 2 girls, 4 months old, and one of them is sick, for 2 days been standing around all puffed up with her head sunk into her puffed neck feathers, tail down. She let me pick her up which is really unusual, she didn't seem to have mites and her crop was empty.

First of all they are not roosting yet, they have an indoor place with a roosting branch but they have resisted going in there, even though we've shown it to them several times. They huddle in a corner of the run that is quite exposed to the elements even if it's raining, and it's been getting chilly (low 50s) should they have a heat lamp?

Anyway this is beside the point (I'm just wondering how the barred rock became sick) but mainly what could it be and what to do next. I've read a lot of posts on this forum and some mention these symptoms with cocci but I don't see any bloody stool. She eats a and drinks a little but not much. Here's a pic.

Thanks!

I've been having the same issue the last 2 days w my 20 week old ameracauna. Hunched down, feathers fluffed, not eating or drinking much. Plus after I left them out of the coop she wont exit. She stays roosted. I did notice her poop was green yesterday, but I'm assuming it's grass. I would treat but I don't know what to treat for.

I would treat for coccidiosis with Corid or amprollium, Ampromed. Blood in stools only occurs in 2 out of the 9 or more chicken strains of the disease. Corid will not hurt her, but she has many of the symptoms. If she is not drinking, she needs to be given the medication orally with a dropper or syringe. If you get the liquid Corid, you can feed a couple of drops undiluted several times for 2 days. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liqid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5 days, and treat all chickens as the only water source. It can also be sprinkled over feed. After treatment, give a few days of vitamins and probiotics in their water or feed.

X2 and the sooner the better. I would also be getting them into their coop at night even if you have to put them in yourself. They need protection from the weather, especially when they are ill. Maybe try to figure out if there is a reason they don't want to go in, is it too small, too closed in/dark? Does it have good ventilation?

Back
Top Bottom