Sickly 3 week old chick? Please help

Hopefully

Chirping
10 Years
Aug 23, 2009
I have a 3 week old chick. The dog mouthed him a couple days ago and the chick went into shock. I warmed him up and he started perking up a bit. But his mom doesnt want him so I'm raising him. He likes to sleep in my shirt. But he seems too lethargic. He's eating and drinking, but he mainly eats cornbread and drinks lots of water. He looks tired all the time even though he peeps and is alert.. just still looks under the weather. His poo is clear and water, sort of a light green color. He wont eat the chicken starter, just the cornbread. Advice?? He also sort of twitches funny he has no control over his body sometimes he jerks funny! HELP!!!!!

just gave him some pink yogurt and scrambled eggs, poo looks regular again i guess it was lack of nutrition since he only had bread?

i'm not sure what pink yogurt is, but if it has sugar and fruit in it, please do not feed it to your chick. You only want to feed plain yogurt to a chicken. And the cornbread does not have the nutrients it needs. Go to a pet store and buy baby parrot formula. It comes in a powdered form. Mix it like a thick gruel and feed that to your chick. You can use a syringe and allow it to lap it up as you drip it in the beak. Be careful not to feed too fast or it can aspirate. The scrambled eggs are good, or mashed hard boiled eggs.

The important thing with a sick chicken who is being temperamental with eating is to make every bite count. That's why it's important to have good high nutritional value food available. i got the good advice on the baby parrot formula from one of the best experts on this board. And it has worked for me when i've had a sick chicken who would not eat.

Another good thing to have around is Avia Charge 2000. It's a great additive to water that has tons of vitamins and minerals. You can order it from Stombergs or Murray McMurray online.

Hope this information has helped a bit and hope you chick gets better soon.

thanks for answering!
im going to give him scrambled eggs everyday but i'll stop giving the yogurt.
thx for the great advice, the baby parrot formula is what my dad just went to go get
baby chick looks much much better

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

I'm glad he is doing better but just like cornbread, scrambled egg is not a whole nutritious food. He needs the vitamins that the chick starter contains. Try mixing 1/3 scrambled egg with 2/3 chick crumbles. Give him that 2 or 3 times a day and the rest of the time leave plain chick crumbles out for him with plenty of fresh water. Now is a good time to add a sprinkle of chick grit to his food (your other chicks also). Soon it will be time to add other things to his diet like veggies and fruit.

Where does he sleep at night? Does he have a heat lamp to keep warm? He might be lethargic because he is always cold. In his 'house' give him a stuffed animal to snugggle up to. He won't feel so alone.

Another suggestion is to get Poly Vi Sol liquid baby vitamins. THE KIND WITHOUT IRON. Any drug store carries it. Generic is even better. Give the little guy 1 drop per day. Use the dropper to gently 'drop' the liquid on the top/side of his beak so the liquid can slowly roll into his beak and he can swallow it so he doesn't accidently inhale it into his lungs.

Sounds like he is in good hands. You sure are going to be busy but it's a labor of love.

It's difficult to feed a chick parrot formula. It can be done but it is hard getting the formula down the right tube. Are you sure the Mom doesn't want him? Have you tried putting him under her at night? Chickens can't count so maybe she won't notice that he is back and will care for him again. I know you are doing everything you can but Mom knows best. Just a thought.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom