sickly chicken, can you help?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kanga77510, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Kanga77510

Kanga77510 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Santa Fe, TX
    My hen is not doing so well. She seems to be losing weight, and having a breathing issues. It sounds wet, rattling when she breathes. Yesterday she didn't get down from the perch with the rest of the flock, and her R nose was goobered up with a yellowish something. Her R eye was closed as well. The yellow stuff does have small odor, much like the feed grains. Also her mouth foams a little.

I have her away from the rest of the flock and with food and water. Water currently has some duramyacin for good measure.

Details of bird: age unknown; breed is red sex link, unsure of her egg producing I know she didn't lay yesterday.

Thanks, everyone!

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
  3. Farmerboy16

Farmerboy16 Rebuilding my Farm

Dec 30, 2010
    Sparta, MI
  4. Kanga77510

Kanga77510 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Santa Fe, TX
    Well, she is still alive but weak. I got a few ounces of medicated water into her, the sulmet like other posters suggested. We also managed to get a few bites of cooked chicken in her as well. It was leftover in the crock pot, and I figured it would help. She is still in my garage. Boy, I hope she pulls through.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by