Sickly duckling, someone please help!

MrPeeps

In the Brooder
Mar 24, 2018
I just got my first duckling. I rescued it from certain death at Tractor Supply. It was sick when I got it, but I know it needed some special attention, and didn't think it would get it there (as it was just laying in a box, separated from the others, and not moving much). I've had it a little over 24hrs. It's not much better. It's body is very limp and listless, it's neck hangs, for the most part, although it can lift its head on occasion. It can't stand or walkk. Pushes itself in circles, on its side. Lays on its back a lot. Legs spasm. He peeps here and there. Didn't at all when I first got it, as it was too weak. Drinks water from a dropper. Mashed some food up with water and it ate a little of it. Still very weak... I don't know enough to know what it is that's wrong with him. But, know this is not normal. Someone, please help me, I don't want him to die.

:welcome

So very sorry to hear about your duckling. Can you describe your brooder setup? What you're using for a heat source, what the temperature under the heat source is, what type of bedding you're using, what you're feeding, etc?

Can you get ahold of some poultry Nutri-Drench? A few drops directly into its beak and also some in the water might help. It gets directly into their bloodstream and gives them a boost.

Bless you for caring.

You need to get some Poultry Nutri Drench and give tiny drops right into the bill. TSC carries it. After you get him up and eating then you need to start with niacin or B complex B complex is actually better and you can also get it in liquid.
Do you have the lil one under a heat lamp?

:welcome

So very sorry to hear about your duckling. Can you describe your brooder setup? What you're using for a heat source, what the temperature under the heat source is, what type of bedding you're using, what you're feeding, etc?

Can you get ahold of some poultry Nutri-Drench? A few drops directly into its beak and also some in the water might help. It gets directly into their bloodstream and gives them a boost.

I have Mr. Peeps (not sure of it's a boy or girl) on a heating pad, set at medium, and wrapped in several clean towel rags, in a box. We're out of town, two of my dogs and I, and, I came across this sickly little duckling, and just couldn't leave it there to die. I have no idea what his food is. They gave it to me at Tractor Supply. They couldn't stand to sell me a bag of food, not knowing if the duckling, which was also free (because it was so close to death), would even make it. I've been giving it the food they gave me, mushed all up with water. I've also been diluting gator aid to give it. Peeps seems to be getting stronger. Now, I believe it may be blind. I'm not sure though. Peeps doesn't walk, but moves it's little legs all about, when it's hungry it bites at the plastic cap I've been using to feed it in. Peeps seems to be sleeping longer, eating better, and moving more. But, still can't stand or walk. I'm not sure what's wrong with my duckling. I leave for home tomorrow, and if I can just get peeps there, I can see if there's a duck vet around, although, I'm not sure my husband will be willing to spend a lot of money on it. I'm doing my absolute best for it though. It would have surely died had I left it there. Any thoughts or suggestions would be really helpful. I've never raised a duckling, or anything like it before. I have almost no idea what I'm doing. I'm just winging it at the moment.

Your awesome for having such compassion and I hope it works out. Sounds like you are doing everything you can at this point. The Nutra Drench and Vitamin B supplements are your best bets at this point, just keep him warm and continue doing what your doing and hope for the best. In case this is a genetic issue, if he/she makes it, I would make it a pet and not breed it or you might end up with this same scenario all over again with it's offspring.

It's still alive so that is awesome to hear.
You need to figure out what temp Mr Peeps is being kept at you want him warm around 87-90 but not over heated. Your doing great on the feed and gator aide. Did you get any Poultry Nutri drench? that is great stuff and you can give tiny drops right into his bill[not down the throat]
He also needs some B complex vitamins in liquid [best way to give them] Walmart carries them as do feed stores. This will help with leg weakness.
Of course a vet is always best but these things will also help, plus the TLC your giving to him/her.
Your one in a million :hugs

Back
Top Bottom