Sickly ducklings

One of the ducklings is making pigeon-like sound. Anyone heard that before? Can't locate it, but I've heard it two times now, once it was inside, so it could not be a nearby pigeon.

They are so precious I am so happy for them that you took them in. They must have had a really rough start. So happy to hear they are all getting on now. That is awesome. Soon they will all look great and you'll have a really nice lil flock to care for.

As far as the pigeon sound not sure can you record it? they can make all kinds of sounds though. When my Runners find a new bush that may hold the key to some bug eating oh my gosh do they get carried away and sounds like bees humming very big bees though. lol It's their happy noise.

Your doing an awesome job there getting them in good health and use to everything. :thumbsup

I doubt I'll be able to record it, it can hardly be heard. I'll see if it continues.
I did notice something else today. The small duckling has some kind of brown spots on bottom side of its feet. It does not seem to bother him, because he/she walks normally and runs much faster than any of them. It was interesting to see him steal a large snail and running with him around. No way he could eat that chunk of slimy meat, but he had to,.. and ran like a wind! I hope those feet wounds are already healing and that other ducklings don't have them. I can only see them while they do their yoga feet stretching.

They were slug hunting tonight for an hour. It's overcast and not as dry as it was for quite some time now. Slugs started appearing and they love them. I just showed them the feeding place and they had a long lasting party. You have to see them when they steal food and run - That's why they are called runners. :)

Well just remember to identify sex Girls quack loud, boys sound like they have a cold in their nose raspy.

Hopefully it's not bumble foot on your lil ones feet. if he /she begins to limp the least bit I would pick him up and examine Bumble can be serious if left to go systemic. So it needs to be taken care of asap if that is what it is. Hopefully not.

Where did you get these ducklings from may I ask?

I will wash his feet with antiseptic soap, just in case. It probably won't do much.
I also noticed all tree eating their own droppings. When I covered the bedding to prevent that, they just dug in and get it again. I keep them outside most of the day now, there's much cleaner there and they can find their own food. The small one had huge crop this evening. They have found slugs and little frogs.

They are starting to follow me even if my duck doesn't. They must have realized I can control the dogs. :)
Hooded crow got next to them today and picked the food they threw out of their fencing. it did not try to get them. Seemed friendly.

I bought them from what seems to be a local indian runner duck farm, or someone who has hundreds. I have not expected them to be in such condition.

I'm so grateful for people like you. Thank you for taking the time to nurse these poor neglected ducklings. They will probably bite and poke at each other especially as the 3 get introduced to the 1. It happens, it took our girls about 2 weeks before they accepted the drake we adopted and then another week or so once he was finally old enough to be in the coop with them. But they all live happily together now.

I would just say watch out when they swim, they have this crazy thing where they jump on each other's backs and every so often one might start poking at the ducks head who's being "rode" on. Almost feels like they trying to drown each other lol:confused:

They were poking at the duck I have had before, but I managed to stop that during their first day when I introduced them. I've seen now they started nibbling her feathers which I think means they are sucking-up to her. :lol:

They are sure messy! My duckling while she was alone splashed only minimal amounts of water and didn't collect feces and then deploying into fresh water. These three do just that. The large duck I had before still doesn't. She's also way cleaner at the moment. I hope she teaches them a bit about personal hygiene. :D

Do ducks snore? I've seen one snoring or it may have trouble breathing. Never saw it during the day when it's awake.

They were poking at the duck I have had before, but I managed to stop that during their first day when I introduced them. I've seen now they started nibbling her feathers which I think means they are sucking-up to her. :lol:

They are sure messy! My duckling while she was alone splashed only minimal amounts of water and didn't collect feces and then deploying into fresh water. These three do just that. The large duck I had before still doesn't. She's also way cleaner at the moment. I hope she teaches them a bit about personal hygiene. :D

Do ducks snore? I've seen one snoring or it may have trouble breathing. Never saw it during the day when it's awake.

So messy. I used to try and clean it up every day at least change the pen we had once a day. You realize it's impossible to do that once they get older lol.

As far as snoring I have seen it and heard of it. . Not sure of any links to an illness or if it's cause for concern. We have one duck who does "weeze" every so often even when sleeping and she been doing that since we got her a year ago.

So messy. I used to try and clean it up every day at least change the pen we had once a day. You realize it's impossible to do that once they get older lol.

As far as snoring I have seen it and heard of it. . Not sure of any links to an illness or if it's cause for concern. We have one duck who does "weeze" every so often even when sleeping and she been doing that since we got her a year ago.

Just make sure they have proper access to water and are able to dip their whole bill in an clean properly. I'd watch to see how often it continuesm

Back
Top Bottom