Sickly Hen! Please Help ASAP!

CluckWheekBark

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2017
I have a mixed breed hen,a Golden Comet x Neighbors White rooster (probably a White Leghorn?) and she is very sickly. I went to give the flock some veg, and she didn't come out to range, so I went and checked the coop to find her sitting on the roost with her wings sort of fluffed out ( not like coccidiosis though). I checked her vent, and there seemed to be a sack of some sorts just kind of sitting on the edge of her vent.I took her away from the flock and set her down so I could post on here, and she immediately laid an egg. I laughed, thinking she was just too lazy to be bothered and just stayed on the roost. So I went inside, told my family and came back outside to check on her. Checked her vent one last time, and the sack was still there. I had noticed earlier that she was draining of something out of her vent but didn't think anything of it. I'll post some pictures of her vent and the liquid , but please be warned that it is graphic.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Very sorry for no pictures, I guess they didn't post. In still relatively new to BYC and am not used to using it in the browser.

So after doing some further research, I think that I may have seen the egg coming out of her uterus, and then after she laid said egg, I got confused with her uterus and the egg. Tomorrow i'm going to give her a bath, and wash the poop off of her butt for a better look. I may just be over-reacting, but its always better to be safe than sorry. (Im also still confused as to why her butt is draining fluid, so clarification with that would be appreciated) Thank you all very much for replying!:D

So after doing some further research, I think that I may have seen the egg coming out of her uterus, and then after she laid said egg, I got confused with her uterus and the egg. Tomorrow i'm going to give her a bath, and wash the poop off of her butt for a better look. I may just be over-reacting, but its always better to be safe than sorry. (Im also still confused as to why her butt is draining fluid, so clarification with that would be appreciated) Thank you all very much for replying!:D
It almost looks and sounds like vent gleet, I'm not completely positive though. Wash her vent with water and epsom salt for 15-20 minutes. Try mixing a few tablespoons of plain yogurt a day with her food, just in case it is vent gleet. Does the fluid, or discharge have a foul smell?

I didn't really smell any odor from the puddle of the fluid that was on the table, but then again I wasn't putting my face directly up to it. I'll read up on vent gleet, tysm for helping, I'll update on the situation in the morning after I give her a bath.

Looks like she may have laid a soft shell egg?
https://hencam.com/henblog/2015/08/a-laying-glitch/

I didn't really smell any odor from the puddle of the fluid that was on the table, but then again I wasn't putting my face directly up to it. I'll read up on vent gleet, tysm for helping, I'll update on the situation in the morning after I give her a bath.
You're welcome! I'm happy to help!

Back
Top Bottom