Sickness in flock

Merbtucker

Hatching
Jun 4, 2020
Hi everyone I’m new to this! I have been dealing with illness for over a month! Long story short we bought 20 hens from a gal the hens looked terrible lots of missing neck feathers (probably in cages) they ended up sick 2-3 days after we brought them home. They have nasal discharge, sneezing, mouth breathing, wheezing or gurgling one hen is clicking really loudly it’s like she want control it it’s weird. One died on its own from whatever is wrong another one ended up dying and we ended up culling all but 3 from that lady because they were sick already. Now my entire flock is sick and my very first rooster I raised as a baby is ill and I’m so sad he’s quarantined in the garage but my whole flock is sick all over again and I am out of options my vets won’t help me it’s like pulling teeth nobody around here really sees chickens. We did get 2 kinds of antibiotics neither worked they are all sneezing again gurgling wheezing I’m overwhelmed and defeated. While they are sick can we safely eat their eggs? I also started to hatch chicks is this okay? To hatch their eggs even if they are sick? I know they have something respiratory going on but nothing is working so far I’ve tried acv in their water, veggies, I picked up something from the farm store and it’s not working. I’m scared they are going to get my bigger chicks and turkey sick as well as all of my ducks... can someone help me this is exhausting. 2 pics of the production red hen died but that’s how sick the ones we got from the lady were and it’s spreading to my other flock. Thanks guys

Attachments

• B3DA2ADB-868C-4C65-9249-9A6D9933394E.jpeg
    B3DA2ADB-868C-4C65-9249-9A6D9933394E.jpeg
    532.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 49C7D0F1-1599-4658-B801-54A4F970D615.jpeg
    49C7D0F1-1599-4658-B801-54A4F970D615.jpeg
    530 KB · Views: 2
  • 19492334-F701-4372-A9A3-83E0EB70ACBB.jpeg
    19492334-F701-4372-A9A3-83E0EB70ACBB.jpeg
    673.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 75C5A494-74C6-4A8F-A424-B415D559F76E.jpeg
    75C5A494-74C6-4A8F-A424-B415D559F76E.jpeg
    660 KB · Views: 2
You won't know if your other birds are in danger till you get a necropsy and lab work done on a dead or sick bird at your state poultry lab. What state are you in?
The problem sounds like it could be either viral or bacterial.
The necropsy will tell you how to proceed.
It is never a good idea to introduce new birds to your property without a sufficient quarantine period. That goes twentyfold for bringing birds that don't look healthy.

You won't know if your other birds are in danger till you get a necropsy and lab work done on a dead or sick bird at your state poultry lab. What state are you in?
It is never a good idea to introduce new birds to your property without a sufficient quarantine period. That goes twentyfold for bringing birds that don't look healthy.

I do know that they are all showing symptoms it’s so frustrating. We did try to quarantine them but they kept getting out and into my other flock my rooster flew in there with them too and ended up really ill. The chickens we got from the lady we actually didn’t even know they looked like that because she met us at a gas station they were wet it was raining and they were held upside down so it was hard to tell. They laid eggs everywhere! They had no clue what a nesting box was. I am located in Missouri

I'm in Missouri too. I always send my birds to the Mizzou vet school for necropsy. We have 2 labs in MO.

Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory
University of Missouri 810 E. Campus Loop
Columbia, Missouri 65211-0001
Phone: 573-882-6811

Missouri Department of Agriculture
Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory
701 North Miller Avenue
Springfield, Missouri 65802-6460
Phone: 417-895-6861

If you have a dead bird, you can call Mizzou and they will send you a FedEx shipping label.
Tell FedEx it is a biological test sample. Don't freeze the bird but keep it refrigerated. I put a freezer pack in the box with it.

If the bird is still alive, you can hand carry it to them. I've done that a couple times. They humanely euthanize the bird and start right to work. For the best test results, that is the method of choice.

I'm in Missouri too. I always send my birds to the Mizzou vet school for necropsy. We have 2 labs in MO.

Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory
University of Missouri 810 E. Campus Loop
Columbia, Missouri 65211-0001
Phone: 573-882-6811

Missouri Department of Agriculture
Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory
701 North Miller Avenue
Springfield, Missouri 65802-6460
Phone: 417-895-6861

If you have a dead bird, you can call Mizzou and they will send you a FedEx shipping label.
Tell FedEx it is a biological test sample. Don't freeze the bird but keep it refrigerated. I put a freezer pack in the box with it.

If the bird is still alive, you can hand carry it to them. I've done that a couple times. They humanely euthanize the bird and start right to work. For the best test results, that is the method of choice.

Hi! Thank you for the info!

Hi everyone I’m new to this! I have been dealing with illness for over a month! Long story short we bought 20 hens from a gal the hens looked terrible lots of missing neck feathers (probably in cages) they ended up sick 2-3 days after we brought them home. They have nasal discharge, sneezing, mouth breathing, wheezing or gurgling one hen is clicking really loudly it’s like she want control it it’s weird. One died on its own from whatever is wrong another one ended up dying and we ended up culling all but 3 from that lady because they were sick already. Now my entire flock is sick and my very first rooster I raised as a baby is ill and I’m so sad he’s quarantined in the garage but my whole flock is sick all over again and I am out of options my vets won’t help me it’s like pulling teeth nobody around here really sees chickens. We did get 2 kinds of antibiotics neither worked they are all sneezing again gurgling wheezing I’m overwhelmed and defeated. While they are sick can we safely eat their eggs? I also started to hatch chicks is this okay? To hatch their eggs even if they are sick? I know they have something respiratory going on but nothing is working so far I’ve tried acv in their water, veggies, I picked up something from the farm store and it’s not working. I’m scared they are going to get my bigger chicks and turkey sick as well as all of my ducks... can someone help me this is exhausting. 2 pics of the production red hen died but that’s how sick the ones we got from the lady were and it’s spreading to my other flock. Thanks guys
To me it feels like your dealing with Mycoplasma which is quite contagious in a flock . If one is Infected you may find symptoms in others sooner or day by day .b
There are good treatment available for it with Baytril 10% but as baytril medication can't be use on hens you can try Doxycycline combination with Neomycin . This Dox-neomycin combo work on Both Mycoplasma and mixed Infection .
All the best :)

Back
Top Bottom