Sickness

JORLEE23

Chirping
Sep 13, 2022
I found my hen like this all of a sudden tonight!
She was fine earlier
She can't hold her head up and is shaking her head :(:(
Here is a picture
So sad not sure what's happened to her !

Attachments

• 20221208_204610.jpg
    20221208_204610.jpg
    526.3 KB · Views: 13
It could be wry neck. That can happen after a head or neck injury, a vitamin E deficiency, and is seen in certain diseases, such as Mareks, Newcastles, AI, and others. Can she eat or drink if you guide her to a bowl? I would give her human vitamin E 400 IU, along with a small amount of scrambled egg, and vitamin B complex 1/4 tablet daily. How old is she? Does she have any other symptoms?

Shes about 6 months old
She just seems really disoriented
I will try adding some vitamins to her water

The vitamins are better when given orally into her beak. That way you know that she is getting the right dose. Do you have a rooster or could she have been injured? I would mix some chicken feed with a lot of water to make an oatmeal consistency and add cooked egg for selenium. Try holding her to take some water first, then try feeding her several times a day. The E and B complex are found in drug stores and Walmart.

Yes we have a rooster who can be aggressive is it possible he injured her that bad?
It really makes me sad when any of my birds seem uncomfortable let alone in pain. One of my Barred Rocks was getting her feathers plucked by the bigger hens, so I made her a private roost to get a break, all better now. If this could be disease in your hen keep her separate from the yard untill "Mareks" is ruled out. A big box with lots of "favs" will keep her happy. Mareks is the "plauge" and the end of your flock.

It really makes me sad when any of my birds seem uncomfortable let alone in pain. One of my Barred Rocks was getting her feathers plucked by the bigger hens, so I made her a private roost to get a break, all better now. If this could be disease in your hen keep her separate from the yard untill "Mareks" is ruled out. A big box with lots of "favs" will keep her happy. Mareks is the "plauge" and the end of your flock.
If you pick her up how does she react?
Timid , lame, noisy, limp, extatic?
Are there any less feathered areas of attack or injury. Probably need to do a 360 checkup with some treats. Best wishes.

I would take some time to observe her for the next couple of days. Watch the rooster’s behavior with the others.
You could place him with the hen momentarily to see how he acts. Since Mareks, vitamin deficiency, or head injury could be a cause, don’t immediately blame the rooster. But I would start the vitamins, and then keep her separated, feeding and watering her for the next few days.

Back
Top Bottom