Sideways walk with hard moult

Bhapimama

Songster
Jul 30, 2017
Blue Lake, CA
I posted earlier about my chicken moulting and being abused by her flock mates and I got lots of helpful info but no one has commented on the fact that she has this weird sideways crouchy gaite. When she’s scared she runs like a normal chicken but when she is fairly comfortable in her environment she seems to have difficulty maintaining her balance. Does anyone have any insight on this? I’m hoping it doesn’t indicate anything worse than the hard moult that she seems to be suffering from....

Sounds like deficiency to me, hard molt possibly being the reason. I didn't see your other post so I don't know - are you giving her anything to help her along with her molt? I suspect she could do with supplements. Others will be more help though.

I have read your other post. IMO I wouldn't separate her unless there is blood being drawn from bullying - re-integration can be really tough on them and she is already dealing with a hard molt.
What do you feed them? I'm wondering about the protein content of their feed. During a hard molt it's helpful to up the protein. Good to read in your other post you gave her scrambled egg and yogurt. Tuna is good too.
From what I've seen, sideways walking and appearing drunk is at times seen in chickens going through a heavy molt. So long as she is getting her proper nutrition with some added protein she should be ok. Some poultry vitamins probably wouldn't hurt either.

I have read your other post. IMO I wouldn't separate her unless there is blood being drawn from bullying - re-integration can be really tough on them and she is already dealing with a hard molt.
What do you feed them? I'm wondering about the protein content of their feed. During a hard molt it's helpful to up the protein. Good to read in your other post you gave her scrambled egg and yogurt. Tuna is good too.
From what I've seen, sideways walking and appearing drunk is at times seen in chickens going through a heavy molt. So long as she is getting her proper nutrition with some added protein she should be ok. Some poultry vitamins probably wouldn't hurt either.
Before her symptoms appeared, they were getting pellets that I got at Tractor Supply that were marketed as high in protein to help chickens through a moult. Also lots of table scraps and free ranging most of the day every day.
I am nervous about not isolating her. She is our favorite and on my workdays I am away from the house a solid 10 (sometimes more) hours. My son comes home midday and we have a plan to alternate their free range time. This will allow the others to see but not touch her and then when she’s healthier, we were thinking we would start out by having the most docile of the other three join her at first and then reunite everyone. Idk... I am worried about the re-integration process but at the same time, it would break our hearts to lose her :(

Before her symptoms appeared, they were getting pellets that I got at Tractor Supply that were marketed as high in protein to help chickens through a moult. Also lots of table scraps and free ranging most of the day every day.
I am nervous about not isolating her. She is our favorite and on my workdays I am away from the house a solid 10 (sometimes more) hours. My son comes home midday and we have a plan to alternate their free range time. This will allow the others to see but not touch her and then when she’s healthier, we were thinking we would start out by having the most docile of the other three join her at first and then reunite everyone. Idk... I am worried about the re-integration process but at the same time, it would break our hearts to lose her :(
I’m with @Cragg Klefor regarding the separation issue; especially if they free range. There is a tendency to put anything abnormal or disruptive in a cage and a) I don’t think it solves most problems and b) the chicken gets stressed by not being able to mix with the flock. Here, and not just me, the emphasis is on trying to keep things as normal as possible when dealing with health and behavioral problems. Chickens are social creatures and while we may think we are protecting them by separating we often do more harm than good.
The see but not touch approach may have benefits where chickens are kept in a run; I have my doubts about this too but I don’t know because the chickens here free range.
If you could post a video of the hen while she does this strange walk it may help.
I have one here at the moment that walks backwards from time to time weaving her head from side to side. Apart from this she is as normal as the rest of her flock. Motion problems may be a vitamin deficiency and often fall under the general term of wry neck. The problem is there are lots of neurological and diet related problems that fall under wry neck. It’s working out exactly what it is you are dealing with. While forum advice can be helpful for known and obvious illnesses a visit to a vet who can see the chicken and make the necessary tests is far more reliable

Ok in light of the fact that three people on here have warned me against isolating her, I think I will let her out with the others this morning and see how things go. As far as going to the vet.... when I can’t afford healthcare for myself, I’m not going to take my chicken to the vet. :-/
Thank you so much for the advice!

Well... so far so good. I would’ve liked to have seen her eat more, but the others didn’t harass her and when the “lead hen” alerted everyone of “danger”, Peep joined up with the flock like she should. Her staggery walk seems maybe slightly improved. My video is too large to upload. This website seems a little primitive when it comes to things like that.
So I guess I’ll just cross my fingers and hope for the best :-/

I posted earlier about my chicken moulting and being abused by her flock mates and I got lots of helpful info but no one has commented on the fact that she has this weird sideways crouchy gaite. When she’s scared she runs like a normal chicken but when she is fairly comfortable in her environment she seems to have difficulty maintaining her balance. Does anyone have any insight on this? I’m hoping it doesn’t indicate anything worse than the hard moult that she seems to be suffering from....

I would direct dose her with some Poultry Nutri-Drench or Rooster Booster Poultry Cell for 2-3days in row (1cc per 3 pound of weight) . Then give her vitamins once a week.
If she is free ranging plus eating lots of table scraps, she may be a bit deficient in essential vitamins/nutrients. I would also see if she will eat some of those high protein pellets(?)

I have not read your other thread, so will not comment on separation at this time.

Back
Top Bottom