Siding material, ventilation, and other coop questions.

Pics
Screws and washers would be the easiest and quickest way to put the fencing up and remove. Staples would take forever to pull out. Plus you can reuse the screws and washers on the hc.
Okay. We have screws and washers that we bought for the HC. I will prioritize the HC on fencing under the coop and doing the bottom of the run (parents insist) then doing the bottoms of the walls, then the tops of the walls.

I personally wouldn't use plywood for an exposed coop. Plywood is layers of wood glued together, not solid wood. Painting it isn't going to stop the layers of glue from being affected by the elements, especially moisture.
Ya some person who clearly was not thinking it through, used plywood in our WASH STATION walls for the horses. Clearly you can’t use a hose in there now...

Just saw pictures- because of the way the henhouse is built, the side with the nesting boxes and windows is facing away from the house :lol: That does leave me space to make a nice chicken coop sign...I'm thinking 'The Fluffy Butt Hut"

for the top of the sides of the run should we use welded wire, which of course is everywhere, until ordered hardware cloth comes? How should we attach that for the temporary use?

Yes, you can use welded wire for now.

You can leave the welded wire permanently, and just put hardware cloth over it when you get the hardware cloth.

Most welded wire fencing is actually stronger than hardware cloth (which matters if a big dog is trying to get in, or a raccoon is trying to literally tear it apart.)

The only reason hardware cloth is recommended instead is the hole size--it keeps small creatures from walking in or out (rats or chicks), and keeps raccoon hands from reaching in.

I can only think of two reasons not to have hardware cloth over welded wire: cost of buying both materials (which you'll probably be doing anyway), and bedding can get trapped between the layers where it is very difficult to clean out (mostly an issue near floor level.)

Yes, you can use welded wire for now.

You can leave the welded wire permanently, and just put hardware cloth over it when you get the hardware cloth.

Most welded wire fencing is actually stronger than hardware cloth (which matters if a big dog is trying to get in, or a raccoon is trying to literally tear it apart.)

The only reason hardware cloth is recommended instead is the hole size--it keeps small creatures from walking in or out (rats or chicks), and keeps raccoon hands from reaching in.

I can only think of two reasons not to have hardware cloth over welded wire: cost of buying both materials (which you'll probably be doing anyway), and bedding can get trapped between the layers where it is very difficult to clean out (mostly an issue near floor level.)
We do not have stray dogs in my neighborhood, but I'll keep that in mind. I'll see what parents say.

The hardware cloth is coming on wednesday, which coincidentally is when the rental people are picking up the rental coop. If there is overlap we have chicken wire and a prefab run we can use for temporary run space.

Of course, after all this planning, I'm not even building a coop :oops: We ordered one from a guy that makes them. It's coming on wednesday!! We also get to paint it :DWe are, however, building a run! Today and tomorrow are going to be full building days.
Did you end up getting on similar to the one you were trying to save up for? Congratulations on it arriving early!

Back
Top Bottom