*sigh* 2 out of 14 hatched

Frizzles

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 12, 2008
I miscounted and was away in Texas visiting my son who's deploying in 2 weeks when they were due to hatch. On the 19th day, a buff orphington hatched, perfect according to my daughter who was here taking care of the critters (although her husband said it was "sweating" so he took it out and put it in the brooder. I explained about being wet from hatching and don't do that with others please! Anyhow, 3 days ago my daughter calls and says that one frizzle had pipped. great! Well, nothing more, she said it was rolling all over the bator, I told her to leave it and let it do it's thing. I got home at midnight tonight from texas and still just a pip, but noticed amazingly it was still allive, but very dried out. I finished removing the shell, wetting the membrane until the little guy was free. He's still in the bator, very active, but doesn't have his legs under him yet. I'm going to keep watch on him until he's dry to move him. Meantime, NONE of my others have pipped and today's day 24:( When is it time to remove them?? Is there a chance they still may hatch? When I candled them at day 18 they were all viable and moving, I don't know what happened, but am disapointed, and mad at myself for miscalculating the days of the hatch so I was gone!

Sounds like your temps where low and possibly humidity was a little low creating a rubbery membrane that a chick has a hard time fully breaking through. Dry chicks will also not be able to turn in order to fully pip externally. I would do a quick candle on the rest to check for movement and go from there.

Excellent advise, Kurtis.

I agree with candling the eggs. If you see movement or heard signs of life you might want to pip the air cell and see if you can help. Make sure your humidity is up. Low temperatures will delay your hatch. Don't give up hope.

Thanks for the advice. I will check them today, as far as the little frizzle, he's doing well. This morning he still couldn't walk, was like stuck together, so followed warm water "bath" from website and got him all cleaned off. He's now getting all over the brooder and drinking, so am very happy. Thanks all.

Back
Top Bottom