Sigh Another stupid Bobcat. Time to Play....

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by MMPoultryFarms, Oct 28, 2010.

1. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    So most of you know not to long ago I dispatched a bobcat in my area a female cat weighing in at 23 lbs, Tonight I was making my usual rounds with my Spot light and caught glimps of a set of eyes I knew instinctivly was a set of large cat eyes. Unarmed I approached my hay bails slowly with my light turned off in complete darkenss. As I quietly got within 8-10 feet of my bails I spot lighted him and it was at least a 30 pounder he was giant Sitting on that hay bail like he was the king of my pasture.
    Bobcats don't typically share a residence females live a life alone and they hunt in a 1-15 mile radius unless food is scarce then it can extend up to 50 miles. they usually Border territorys with males for breeding purposes by over lapping boundrys. However they will share there residence with a male if they are raising cubs so that the male can guard them while the female hunts for the first 2 weeks. before she allows the cubs out with her on the prowl. So all I can assume from tonights encounter is that there is cubs involved. and the male is taking the females roll since she is gone.
    Since I am uninterested in Killing young animals who havent had even a chance to enjoy a piece of life yet I have Contacted my Local state trapper. to relocate this or these animals. As bad as I would love to eradicate I got to lay my arms down on this one and accept it for what it is until its resolved.
    Let us Hope that it doesnt cost me to much poultry in the process. I will go track him tomorrow to at least see if I can verify any proof of cubs in the area.

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Quote:[​IMG] Commendable restraint. It's challenging being a poultry keeper sometimes. Good luck. I hope you don't lose any birds in the process.

3. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    So after spending the better morning tracking this animal looking for any signs of cubs It is 100% positive that he is housing cubs out of season. I will post pics of my find little later after I download the pics. We will just call this fella Lucky.

4. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    neat story. I didn't know all that about Bobcats. Thanks for sharing. I hope you get pictures of cubs. (Bobcat young are cubs? "kittens" would sound a little out-of place, huh?)

5. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Their scarceness or lack of is tied to the small game population mostly rabbits when the rabbits are doing well so do the bobkitties when the rabbit population crashes so do the bobkitties . We are covered in them here I see 6-10 a week Toms, females and kittens . From approximately 22-50 lbers

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by