*sigh* broody question....

cjeanean

Can't Decide
11 Years
Mar 5, 2008
Missouri
I have 2 broodies, one that's mean as none other and one that's pretty docile. They are in with the gen pop in the coop, and I think that resulted in the other chickens eating the pipping eggs while the broodies went out to do their business. This is the question:

If I separated the broodies, can I put them together? And how much room would they need, I would put them in a dog crate with a little fenced in yard at the mouth of it a few feet by a few feet....Together or alone???

I would seperate them. This is the set up I used for mine. It is a watermellon crate I got from my local grocery store. I did let/take her out 1-2 times per day. Now her and the chick come and go as they please and the rest of the flock pretty much ingnors them. Good luck!
23841_dsc02990.jpg

23841_dsc03014.jpg

I'm beginning to think that broodies are a whole other kind of issue compared to the incubator. I'm having broody issues also. I have had a millie who has spent two days trying to steal the nest of some cochins. The eggs are due today and one just hatched under the millie - now she is desperate to get it back.

I tried caging her with different eggs and she went ballistic.

I have caged the two cochins together in the past and they co-parented just fine. I used a large dog crate.

As long as the two broodies can get along I would seperate them from the general population.

Back
Top Bottom