*sigh* I'm loosing my touch. (Warning: Hi-jacked by Em)

Sourland also used to harvest frogs for frog legs. This is also an activity that I am no longer capable of doing. As a kid it was a way of life and another source of food. Fishing, hunting, gathering of wild berries and fruits were necessary practices if we did not want to go hungry - this is a reality that most no longer face. By the way, fried frog legs taste really good. I do remember.

Quote:
When I worked, Thursdays were bring a meal day. Once when it was my turn, I brought squirrel sauerbrauten over noodles. Everyone loved it until I told them what they had eaten.
sickbyc.gif

One woman who had eaten double servings actually vomited.
hide.gif

Quote:
I was too busy trying to make safe homes for the frogs. I once put 28 frogs in my mom's washing machine (kept in the shed) with a bucket full of crickets.
roll.png
Not a good thing to do in the summer in Florida. My mom found them a few days later.
hu.gif
It wasn't pretty.

Frogs are my favorite animal. I love their croaks...the look of them...etc. I wear a lucky frog around my neck actually. Never take it off.

Last edited:
Quote:
I was too busy trying to make safe homes for the frogs. I once put 28 frogs in my mom's washing machine (kept in the shed) with a bucket full of crickets.
roll.png
Not a good thing to do in the summer in Florida. My mom found them a few days later.
hu.gif
It wasn't pretty.

As a kid Sourland collected many praying mantis egg cases and brought them into the house for safe keeping. Seemed like a good place to store them was behind the radiator in our bathroom. They all hatched at the same time.
ep.gif
Can you picture a half inch of mantis larvae covering a small bathroom floor. Mom was scooping them up with a dustpan and dumping them out the window, and I was saying, "There's a $100 fine for every one that you kill." Why I didn't get killed is a miracle.
fl.gif

Quote:
roll.png
hu.gif
It wasn't pretty.

As a kid Sourland collected many praying mantis egg cases and brought them into the house for safe keeping. Seemed like a good place to store them was behind the radiator in our bathroom. They all hatched at the same time.
ep.gif
Can you picture a half inch of mantis larvae covering a small bathroom floor. Mom was scooping them up with a dustpan and dumping them out the window, and I was saying, "There's a $100 fine for every one that you kill." Why I didn't get killed is a miracle.
fl.gif

gig.gif
I love Praying Mantis.
love.gif

Quote:
roll.png
hu.gif
It wasn't pretty.

ep.gif
fl.gif

Lizard eggs work pretty much the same way. There are still decendants of those (20 years ago) running around.
hu.gif

Quote:
The fact that you used
rant.gif
instead of
love.gif
is a promising sign.

Spook, will you put in an order for one of those special fortified buckets for Tani?

*snicker* well, unless they are redheads, Tani just isn't interested. Plus, the whole family smokes, so... Not very endearing. Hey, maybe the bucket will keep out the smell!
gig.gif

Now... To convince them to get chickens... As our neighbors, they'll hear Washington, Chip, Thor, and Ugly every morning, so they might as get a few of their own.

Back
Top Bottom