Sigh. Might have to think about just BUYING eggs!

MOChickenz

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 10, 2010
Missouri
I am a new chicken owner. My first 30 chicks died in a month. Half of them died of heat stroke when I brought them outside on a 100 degree day. I figured the lights were 100 degrees...so.... Wrong! The other half were killed by a predator when I left the coop open overnight.

So I built an extremely secure brooder, and ordered new chicks. They were 2 and a half months old on Monday and I decided to open the coop and let them range a little. My bassett hound, who showed ZERO interest in them before, killed 31/33 of them in about an hour.

So I rescued 30 white leghorns from a poultry farm. They are a year old and are laying like crazy already, and I was outside the coop, cutting boards for nest boxes on Wednesday, and the leghorns went NUTS, so I ran in there and found the bassett trying to kill the chickens, while my GSD/border collie puppy has her collar in his mouth and is trying to drag the bassett out of the coop. She had knocked the door open, jumping up on it. The bassett was actually fostered, and I went into overdrive to find her a home. Lol.

Anyone else have total crap luck?

Don't give up!!!!

big_smile.png

I don't want to sound harsh but if you want my honest opinion I think you should take a break from chicken owning for a while. Do lots of research, build ultra secure coops and runs, find a way to keep the dog away from the chicken area or rehome the dog as it doesn't sound like she can ever be trusted to be around the birds. Take your time and then when you feel you are truly prepared, start again. Good luck.

Edited to add: On re-reading the first post I see that the dog acutally has been rehomed. But the secure coops are still a must as next time it could just as easily be a fox or racoon etc.

Last edited:
Yep, I had 7 foot fencing and huskies still managed to climb over. It was 20 birds later and electric fencing, in addition (most importantly) to cooperation from the dog owners, to resolve total decimation. I replaced 20 birds and it was quite frustrating to learn the hard way but I was determined and I didn't give up.

Welcome to BYC! Where in MO are you?
Sounds like you need to take a deep breath...
Secure your coop a bit better. And even though your GSD/Border collie puppy seems to be good, please, don't trust the dog around the chickens without your supervision. I made that mistake twice with puppies.
Dale-Ann

Agree with all posters
smile.png
. I bought a dog run for the puppy that I am putting up near the house. I rehomed the bassett. Since the coop was only ever left open by me, I figure I just have to remember. I figure with 10 acres of ground, the chickens will just have to worry about not finding the road by accident. This free ranging thing is way harder than I thought.

Back
Top Bottom