sigh* not sure what to do... sick pullet

0kie0fmusk0gee

In the Brooder
Aug 16, 2015
Oklahoma
So I got my five easter eggers five days ago and was sent home with gallimycin for some eye issues. Didn't seem major and in fact today I thought they looked much better and they were actively eating and drinking. Just an hour ago I went to change their water and this hen was not doing well at all. She's still with us but barely, she is on my lap.. but I do not know what to do. Here's the symptoms..
-some wheezing when she exhales
-opens her mouth once in a while like she's licking her beak or maybe trying to breath through her mouth (???)
-lethargic and can't keep her head up long

Like I said she's been on gallimycin the last four days and in a warm clean brooder with medicated water and food changed daily.

Last edited:
Poor girl, she doesn't look like she feels well at all :(

You could try some yogurt, oatmeal, and cooked egg yolk. The probiotics in the yogurt will help re-establish the microbes in her gut, the oatmeal will feed her and the microbes, and the yolk for an extra boost of nutrients and protein.

When you say "medicated water", what exactly do you mean? Antibiotics, or electrolytes? If she's been given an antibiotic for the eye, she shouldn't need more in the water. She would benefit from an electrolyte/vitamin blend in the water, though, and if not, maybe some raw apple cider vinegar should help.

I should mention that I run an antibiotic free flock, so minus the antibiotic, I'm relaying the exact thing I would do in this scenario, assuming that theceye infection is what started it, getting her gut flora back would be my top priority so she can fight whatever it is with a full immune system, and it all starts with the gut flora...

Is she pooping normally?

Keep her warm around 80 degrees F. She probably has not been drinking enough. I would start dipping her beak in electrolyte water or give her some drops from a dropper. She looks very close to dying. Gallimycin is erythromycin antibiotic used for many things such as to treat MG and other respiratory infections. Hopefully the breeder didn't sell you chicks who had been exposed to MG. Were her eyes pecked or were they bubbly or draining? Does she have any nasal drainage? You can buy Tylan 50 injectable at many feed stores. It can be given orally to chicks, and I would give her 1/2 ml twice a day for 5 days. Since the Gallimycin is in the water, she probably isn't getting enough because she feels to sick to drink.

Update: got her to drink a good amount of water. Still no energy though. I am surprised she has hung on this long though, it gives me some bit of hope. :/ poor gal.

Offer her some egg--either raw or chopped cooked egg, some chopped tuna, and plain yogurt for probiotics. I really hope that you can get her to take plenty of liquids, and that she gets stronger.

Yes! I know we aren't out of the woods yet but in the last four hours she has made tremendous improvements. I thought she was a goner. I kept forcing liquids in her and you can see in the photo from just now she is eating a TON. She's also holding her own head up and keeping her eyes open longer. Makes me one happy chicken lady.

Look at who is up and full of energy!! Thank you everyone for all the advice and giving me some hope. I think we mustered through the worst of what ever she has. She's active and running around now. Hopefully she stays this way and keeps improving. I think I'm going to keep her in another few days to make sure nothing gets passed to her brothers and sisters.

Back
Top Bottom