*sigh*

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by annie3001, Dec 28, 2011.

1. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    So, besides the strong wind and rain that kept our family up most of the night [​IMG], I was just as worried for my animals outdoors. [​IMG]
    I checked on them often, but then went to bed. I let the dogs outside this morning and looked around for falling branches etc. And yeah saw our garbage can (a tough one too) still standing with the lid off. Yup. lost all my feed [​IMG]. All turned to mush.
    I have been using this method of storing feed for over 3 years since owning chickens,[​IMG] and now I must venture out today and pick up another 50lb bag. Sigh.[​IMG] My chickens and ducks are so picky, they only like crumble. Its all mush, so the question:confused:. how long before its gonna get moldy? I cant see my animals eating it. Like i said, they are picky [​IMG] I may put some out in a bowl and give it a try. Wish i could dry it all out.
    I dunno ,,,, sigh sigh sigh. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

They'll probably love it for a day or two. After that it will start fermenting.

3. braindead101

braindead101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2011
    Midwest.
    You could try putting it on a cookie sheet or a roasting pan, not too thick, in a 200 degree oven to dry it. Stir it often and see if it will dry enough to use.

4. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    Baking it is a great idea. Or, if you have the room, try freezing it.

5. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    intersting baking it. wow. never thought of that. [​IMG]

6. Emily1220

Emily1220 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Florida
    How about mixing it in with yogurt or something as a treat?

7. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    It could have been worse. You could have had toppled pens like I had last April. Wet feed is easy to deal with. Baking it sounds like a great idea!

8. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    Quote:yes, i know, could have been alot worse. so yeah, a another trip to the feed store... no problem. [​IMG]
    i just wanted to have a day.....not going anywhere......playing with the kids...at home.....doing nothing.....ha lol

9. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    It won't help for this time, but try putting a couple of bungee cords on cans, to keep the lids on. You run them over the lid and hook them onto the handles.

I'd try baking some of it, to dry it out. It'll probably degrade the vitamins in it, but it'll still provide useable carbohydrate, protein, fat and minerals. If they free range, they'll be getting some of the vitamins from that.

10. littleflocker

littleflocker Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2011
    Island County WA
    I would mold it into suet blocks for wild birds and put them somewhere else or give them to a friend. Wild birds like layer ration too i've noticed them cleaning up my spills. Careful of rats though! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by