*sigh*

annie3001

My Girls
13 Years
Jun 11, 2009
Ct.
So, besides the strong wind and rain that kept our family up most of the night
barnie.gif
, I was just as worried for my animals outdoors.
sad.png

I checked on them often, but then went to bed. I let the dogs outside this morning and looked around for falling branches etc. And yeah saw our garbage can (a tough one too) still standing with the lid off. Yup. lost all my feed
th.gif
. All turned to mush.
I have been using this method of storing feed for over 3 years since owning chickens,
hu.gif
and now I must venture out today and pick up another 50lb bag. Sigh.
he.gif
My chickens and ducks are so picky, they only like crumble. Its all mush, so the question:confused:. how long before its gonna get moldy? I cant see my animals eating it. Like i said, they are picky
roll.png
I may put some out in a bowl and give it a try. Wish i could dry it all out.
I dunno ,,,, sigh sigh sigh.
roll.png
roll.png
roll.png
roll.png

You could try putting it on a cookie sheet or a roasting pan, not too thick, in a 200 degree oven to dry it. Stir it often and see if it will dry enough to use.

It could have been worse. You could have had toppled pens like I had last April. Wet feed is easy to deal with. Baking it sounds like a great idea!

Quote:
yes, i know, could have been alot worse. so yeah, a another trip to the feed store... no problem.
wink.png

i just wanted to have a day.....not going anywhere......playing with the kids...at home.....doing nothing.....ha lol

It won't help for this time, but try putting a couple of bungee cords on cans, to keep the lids on. You run them over the lid and hook them onto the handles.

I'd try baking some of it, to dry it out. It'll probably degrade the vitamins in it, but it'll still provide useable carbohydrate, protein, fat and minerals. If they free range, they'll be getting some of the vitamins from that.

I would mold it into suet blocks for wild birds and put them somewhere else or give them to a friend. Wild birds like layer ration too i've noticed them cleaning up my spills. Careful of rats though!
ep.gif

Back
Top Bottom