sighing noise and other worrying behavior

EmmaO

In the Brooder
Aug 29, 2020
Hi everyone,
My 8 month old Brahma has me really worried. Today she started making this almost constant low-volume sighing noise. It seems to be in time with her breathing. This hen has been hiccuping or sneezing for months but because she had no other respiratory symptoms I didn't worry about it. The hiccup/sneezing thing happens consistently, several times a day. I have noticed some tail pumping today. It is not constant but it will continue for several minutes at a time. She shakes her head more than the other birds. She also seems to be panting though it's about 70 degrees Fahrenheit today so not terribly hot. Lastly, I've seen her regurgitate some water a couple time in the last month or 2. I have felt her crop and although it is full she has been eating and it will move when I massage it. She is walking around, scratching, hunting for bugs, eating and drinking normally. She does seem to drink more than the other birds. Perhaps most importantly, she laid an egg this morning. I have had an eggbound hen and a case of egg-yolk peritonitis. I am too paranoid to rule those out but considering she laid an egg several hours ago I don't see how it could be that. I have also considered gapeworm and crop issues but just not sure.

Thank you in advance for your help and advice!! I hope I am just being neurotic and you all tell me to just leave the poor bird alone.

She sounds like she has stridor a sound they can make when something is stuck in the airway. That could be a small piece of feed, a mucus plug, or swelling. It can clear up in a matter of hours or by the next day. If it is accompanied by sneezing, nasal drainage, or watery eyes it might be seen in a respiratory infection. My hen used to get that when she ate eagerly and got food stuck in her throat. She was always better the next morning. When I had brahmas, they would get hot and pant, holding their wings away from their body.

If she’s been sneezing for months. This could be caused by a respiratory infection along with whatever could be stuck in her throat.

Back
Top Bottom