Sight Sexing Barred Plymouth Rock Chicks at Hatch

Pics
These are just over 2 weeks old. Any ideas?
the problem im having is that they could be barred crosses or purebred. definitely a barred rock rooster, but the mom could be either a barred rock, RIR, white Plymouth. I'm confused
sad.png

based on barred rock pure chicks, I'm thinking #1 pullet and #2 roo ...but I get thrown off because if they're mixed, it could change the typical sexing signs right?
#2 had a comb that definitely makes me
think roo.

I'd be inclined to agree with you on #2 as a male with those wide white bars and that shape of head spot.

Black sex link signs will not apply because it takes an RIR rooster over a barred rock hen- so if it's definitely a barred rock rooster that's out, which is good news because #1 has a head spot (i.e. if it was BSL that would be a cockerel). Hard to say what #1 will do... hopefully others are more familiar.

Just had 4 hatch. I'm posting a pic of three different ones because I'm having trouble matching head spots to legs. I've seen on this thread where others have focused more on legs due to head spots not being consistant. I think, based on legs I have 1 pullet and 3 roos. :(
My guess is pullet, roo, roo, but one of the possible roos has medium legs.

These male or female?
About 15 weeks old and the lighter one has is a roo but other one looks the same but Bigger and no tail

Last edited:
Hi, I've been making my way through this thread. I have recently hatched a batch of Australorps and Barred Plymouth Rocks (first Rocks for me :) ) and there was a mystery chick included which is still unidentified.

Can I please ask for your help in figuring out which of my Barred Rock chicks are males and which are females. Thanks :)

Chick 1: My guess is little rooster

Chick 2: My guess pullet

Chick 3: My guess little rooster

Chick 4: My guess, another little rooster (because of the head spot)

Am I right? Thanks for looking :)

Back
Top Bottom