Sight window for 5gal bucket feeders?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by smcgill, Apr 21, 2016.

1. smcgill

smcgill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2014
    Easton, Massachussetts
    [​IMG]

Has anyone installed/cut in a sight window to see how much feed is in a 5gal bucket feeders?

I thought of cutting a vertical slot 6" off the bottom up to 2" from the top and covering it with a clear plastic .

I do not think it will hurt it any.

If you have , could you please post pics of what you have , what you used , and how you did it for the rest of the flock!

Thanks
    Sean

2. paneubert

paneubert Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2015
    I do not know where in the thread it was, but I have seen a couple people who posted photos like what you describe in the "show me your feeders mega-thread". So people have done it. One I recall riveted the window on. Another mentioned that they were worried about a cut that was the majority of the vertical space, so they did 2 smaller windows with a solid band between to keep the feeder structurally sound. Maybe that is the smart way to do it. Cut a narrow vertical strip above the middle point, leaving an inch or two of solid plastic, and another one below the middle point.

EDIT: Here is one example.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/823248/show-me-your-feeders/80#post_12275570

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  3. flyin-lowe

flyin-lowe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2016
    Indiana
    Ive seen some who cut a hole in the lid and stick a dowel rod in it. The rod lowers into the hole as the feed level drops.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by