sign ideas before i shootsomeones doggy

I would just go over to the owner and/or contractor and let them know,"Hello, I noticed a dog attacking my livestock going to this property. Just wanted to let you know if you are ever missing a dog just come on over to the property line,because I leave animals I shoot out for buzzards to eat." Then walk away. No discussing. No arguing.No Threat.

Just state the fact-Dog attacks livestock= dog will be shot=dog left for animals to pick at.

The *war* was started when a person let their dog roam.You are just finishing things up.....or you could let it go and suffer continued repeated loss for the sake of being kind to others.

I agree that the sign is just a passive agressive step that will gander a large amount of laughter from those it is directed at.Be kind and give fair warning even though people should already know better.

Your best bet is SSS.When people stop by looking for the dog well you haven't seen anything.Oh and those shots they heard well that was target practice.

I hear that no dog can survive an appropriately-size Conibear trap. They're quiet and relatively cheap too.

Before the lead starts flying just walk over and give a direct warning the the dogs owner. Not the normal please help me here, but a firm 'your dog has kill my animals, on my place' since you've been working here. If I see him back on my property he will not return, plus tell him you are looking for restitution. If you act in a weak way, the response from him will be nasty. If you don't have the backbone for confrontation alone, ask the sheriff to accompany you. I'm sure he would kindly accommodate you. That is part of his job as a sheriff of the county.

Quote:
x2 The direct approach is best. The dog can't read the sign you want to put up, and the problem with something like a Conibear or other trap is the non-target animals that may get caught.

Quote:
x2
thumbsup.gif

Making waves with your neighbors makes for a very uncomfortable life, for a lifetime, even if you are in the right. Understood!

Consider this option:

Print off a copy of your local ordinance regarding "At Large animals" and your rights as the property owner to protect your livestock etc. High-lite the pertenant info and place a copy of this under the windshield wiper of the contractors vehicle. Add the local Sheriff's contact information where the contractor can refer his questions. You dont even have to identify yourself if you dont want to, but if you are seeking restitution you will need to identify yourself and include an itemized invoice for the damages along with a due on receipt statement. Indicate that you intend to exercise your rights to protect your livestock through all legal means available to you as outlined in the ordinance, however, you would prefer to "educate and prevent" as a first line of defense. You should file your complaint with the Sheriff's office including a copy of the bill you submitted to the dog owner so that should it be necessary, you have your documentation in order.

You could also let your neighbor know that there is an issue with his contractor, ask him to discuss this with his contractor, a simple request to not bring the dog from the people who hired him will likely take care of the situation. You should file your complaint with the Sheriff's office regardless, so that they are aware of an issue and can help mitigate the situation.

Good luck! I know how awkward and maddening this can be. You do have to live there, afterall.

Last edited:
Report the problem to the sheriff; get a copy of the report. Be sure to put the cost of damages in the report. Make two copies of the report.

Talk to your neighbor about the problem with the contractor. Show him the report. Give the contractor a copy and ask him for payment. Ideally, the local sheriff can provide someone to go with you when asking for damages.

Shooting the dog may be needed; quite often having to pay damages gives irresponsible pet owners an incentive to change their behavior.

Go over and talk to the roofer. Present him with a bill for the missing duck, and warn him that if you see his dog on your land again, you will be killing it if you see it anywhere near your animals. That it is your job to protect your animals from predators, and that his dog is a predator. I would also talk to your neighbor and have him suggest to the roofer that by bringing a pet with him to his work, he cannot sufficiently focus on his work to do it properly, and that he will be reporting it to the company (or if he works for himself, searching for an alternate roofing contractor).

Just as you would not bring your pet to work in a grocery store or an office, a contractor should not be bringing a pet to a jobsite. About the only expection is a service animal providing a legitimate ADA-defined service.

That is why calling the police and hav8ing a report filed is important. It establishes a pattern of behavior. Plus, you have written proof that you were told by law enforcement that you are allowed to shoot the animal. If you know who owns the dog, there is now written proof that the owner was warned as well.

Here, you can shoot if the dog has PREVIOUSLY attacked your livestock, so with a police report and a description of the dog, you can shoot on sight.

If you get an officer that doesn't want to come out, tell them you need an offical report for proprty damage and loss.

Back
Top Bottom