sign ideas before i shootsomeones doggy

outlawfarmer

Songster
12 Years
Mar 27, 2010
New Hampshire
Lost a show chicken i had less than a month to nieghbors dog the first or second month here. Now our 3rd month here and the littlest duck of 16 went missing. Then a day later i see a german shepard 20 feet from the remaining ducks. It lead back to the same house... It was with a contractor doing the roof there. I dont wanna start a war butt i am tired of loosing live stock and wondering what cut up my pigs two weeks ago... So how do i word a sign that says: peacefull hippy type... But will shoot loose dogs?

Last edited:
Maybe more like "It's legal to kill dogs that are on my property threatening my livestock?" It's really not your responsibility to keep other people's dogs off you property but it sounds like a good fence could still be a good investment.

I agree but after spending 250 on electric fence the animal got to pigs. Then the ducks and chickens free range on over 3 acres so a fence is big $ i found the NH law and may post it on a sign.

466:28 Killing Dogs Legalized.

Any person may kill a dog that suddenly assaults the person while such person is peaceably walking or riding without the enclosure of its owner or keeper; and any person may kill a dog that is found out of the enclosure or immediate care of its owner or keeper worrying, wounding, or killing sheep, lambs, fowl, or other domestic animals.

Last edited:
do you mean it's the roofer's dog? I know alot of people take the dog with them and let them run loose while working on a house. If so I would go over and tell him - that his dog is killing your livestock. Tell him his dog has run up quite a bill with you and he should tie it up or keep it in his truck before something happens to it. Geez.

Is it your neighbor's GSD? Or the contractor? Call the sheriff's office to come out and do a report on property damage/lost livestock. Tell them who owns the dog and ask them to inform the owners of the law. They will also give the owner a "bill" for the amount of damage. If they don't pay up willingly, your next step is probably small claims court.

Either way, having a complaint on file covers your butt if someone complains because their dog didn't come home.

Yes Now its his roofers dog. The guy who owns the house was sorry after his dog took chicken. But now itshis roofers dog

Last edited:
Large well s p a c e d letters reading livestock attacking dogs will be shot on sight!
smile.png

Putting up a sign is a good idea, but predators can't read! If you're not willing or comfortable enough to approach the pet's owner, there are several of us who support SSS (shoot, shovel, and shut-up).

Call the police and have someone make a report. They will talk to the dog's owner (since you know who that is) and they will tell them it is legal for the dog to be shot. Much easier and to the point than trying to catch a dog you don't know, tie a sign on him, hope it doesn't fall off before he wanders back home, and then the owner reads it and BELIEVES the sign.

Plus, as I said, you also have legal proof that you informed the owner and that the dog had caused trouble previously.

Quote:
My problem with SSS is that clueless owners never learn from it. They don't know that the dog was shot for killing livestock, so they go out and get another dog and leave it to roam as well. At least with a warning they have an opportunity to keep their dog out of trouble.

I'm from the "shoot, call the cops, and tell the neighbor to pick up their dog" school.

Back
Top Bottom